a craving for eating soap...

iam 7 mnths pregnant and i think iam going crazy i have such a huge craving for soap..i can literally smell it all day and play with it all day with my hands... and i want to taste it so bad....... my family is making me feel like iam crazy.. is it normal>> :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Craving inedible objects like soap, dirty, kitty litter, etc isn't good. Your OB should've went over this with you at the first appointment. When you crave things like that it is a sign that something isn't right. It could be something as simple as not getting enough nutrients that you need, or something more serious. Call your OB and get an appointment to figure out what it is. I really hope it's something super simple and a quick fix, but you don't want to wait on this one.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It's called pica (the craving to eat something that isn't food). Some women get it when they are pregnant. Let your doctor know and she or he can tell you what you need to do.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Here's a link that may make you feel a little better.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/unusualcravingspica.html
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• it's called Pica. I had cravings for chalk and baking soda in my last 2 pregnancies. Talk to your OB or midwife about it!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 4:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Yep, its PICA....go to google and look it up, or on webmd.
    I had a huge craving for....get ready....rocks. More specifically, small gravel pebbles.
    I never ate any but I did chew ice, a LOT to satisfy my craving for the super crunchy rocky bits LOL

Its usually brought on by a vitamin and mineral deficiancy, make sure you are taking your prenatals and eating a good diet!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• oh, and dont eat the soap :)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2009