Do you think it's fair for a teacher to lower a child's grade, if the parent doesn't provide classroom supplies?

I recently wrote a letter to my daughter's teacher, after supplying her the requested items and noted my willingness to do so all year round (once informed), and stated that I thought her method was kinda slimey and blackmailing students. She claimed to have sent me a classroom agreement home for me to sign. I've never seen it, nor could she produce a signed copy. Now because she thinks I've called her names, she's gonna return my items and lower my daughter's grade. Isn't this unfair? What do you think?

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 3:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in

• your question isn't even the reality of the situation, what she's done is worse and that's bullshit.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Pretty grim. Can you get your child moved to another teacher? At least talk to the teacher's supervisor.

Answer by Bmat at 3:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Contact the school board about this issue, I bet the teacher is wrong.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 3:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• That's BS, complain!
    Anonymous

• You don't know what she is thinking. You are assuming that the thinks that you called her names and that is the reason why your child's grades are suffering. My suggestion, schedule a parent-teacher conference and express your views in how your child's grades should not be penalized for supplies that are provided. Why would she returned the supplies if she requested them in the first place? i would go and talk with the teacher with an open heart and an open mind, most things are misunderstandings or actions perceived as something else. Go and clear the air, ask questions and you should get answers. If need be you can always follow the chain of command but at least give the teacher an opportunity to explain you her rationale.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would def report her! That is total BS!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Definitely go and talk to the teacher and gbet clarity. If that fails, go to the administration. Children should never suffer because of adults.
    Janiepie

Answer by Janiepie at 4:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would request a meeting with the teacher and the principle. I do not think that grades can be lowered for that kind of stuff. If that does not work go to the cunty board then the state.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Report her.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Unprofessional. Contact the principal and the board of education.
    Anonymous