How do I get him off the bottle?

he is a year old and he goes to sleep at night with a bottle of milk. he cant go to sleep unless he has a bottle of warm milk. how do i get him off the bottle?

Marygen

Asked by Marygen at 4:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Might have to cry it out! he shouldn't be put to bed with a bottle,gonna rot his teeth! try giving him his bottle just before you put him down.don't give in!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Cold Turkey it. That is what we did with our daughter. The first day was a little hard but they won't go thirsty. Pack away or get rid off all the bottles and only offer sippy cups. You could tell your son your leaving the bottles for Santa to give to another little baby and leave it at that. Good luck.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• gradually water it down untill you have only water, do a week of 1/4 water, than a week with 1/2 and 1/2, and then 3/4 water, then try just water, got that advice from my doc. it worked perfectly
    Anonymous

• Take the bottle away. Let him have a cup of milk BEFORE bed at the table. Let him cry it out. It will be a rough week but you will all survive.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other posters about crying it out. He will get over it
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Take it away. Cold turkey is best with bottles. You should NEVER put a child to bed with a bottle. My lo was off bottles at 6 mos and then off the silicone sippys at 1 and is only on straw cups. I wish you luck, the first few days with out it will be the roughest or he will be okay with out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• A few weeks ago We were visiting my sister and were out a bit late with our dd. So she fell asleep in the car, so when we got her home we just put her to bed with out it. The next 2 nights she asked for it but we just told her that bottles are for babies and shes a big girl now and she hasnt brought it up since. Now getting rid of her paci will be another thing!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• We did two things. 1) Bought a Transitional Cup from Walmart. Its a cup that has three "stages". The first one is a bottle nipple, the second is a straw-like nipple, the third is a sippy cup nipple. Their all soft rubber, the only thing that changes is the shape. We hid all the bottles in the house and only let her have this one. She hated it for about an hour but gave up and drank from it. Then after a week we changed to the second stange nipple, after another week the third. She didnt even notice! After another week, we put water in the cup for bed instead of milk.
    Worked like a charm ;)

If you want to know the exact brand name and pictures of the transitional cup, message me.
    Good luck!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2009