Question about hot water heater....please read.

My hot water heater is making a popping noise after we use the water in the shower or dishwasher. It sounds almost like the washing machine knob popping out after it is done but louder. Got any idea if this is normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Normal, it's because of a build up of mineral deposits. It's probably an older water heater and at some point it may need to be replaced, but there's no need to be alarmed about the popping sound.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Here's a link about it:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/10/08/HOGJ7F2E7E1.DTL
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Um, mine started popping and I had to get it replaced, if I didn't replace it when we did, the water heater would have burst and I would have had 40 gallons of water in my basement to clean up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is air in the water caused by the minerals in water expanding from heat of water. It might help to drain the tank, but it is something that happens as the tank ages. Water has minerals in it, even filtered and treated water.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 11:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with Dogsmom. I would drain some of the water out of the spigot directly on the hot water heater.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009