Virginia man convicted of indecent exposure for being naked in his own home --- -- Do you agree with the verdict?

A Virginia man has been convicted of indecent exposure after prosecutors said he stood naked inside his house as a 7-year-old boy and his mother walked by.

The mother and child allegedly observed the defendant, 29-year-old Erick Williamson, first through a doorway and again through a window that had no drapes, MyFoxDC reported.

Williamson, the father of a 5-year-old, argued in court Friday that he should be free to go au naturel inside his home. But a judge agreed with prosecutors who argued Williamson's actions showed he intended to make himself visible to the pair as they walked to school along a path outside his home in October.

Williamson's arrest received national attention and spurred debate about whether someone should be subject to arrest for exposure from inside his own home.

He received only a suspended jail sentence and no fine, but still intends to appeal.

diospira

Asked by diospira at 5:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• After the first time why did they look again? Even if he did intend to make himself visible, he can only be seen if they are looking. It's his house, he can do what he wants, quit peeping.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I read about this a while back and thats getting pretty slippery ..I wanna say the man was inside his home and maybe he used poor judgement not covering his windows but its his home he was inside didnt sound like he was hoping others would see him or that he was up against the window saying hello or anything..and so I think its wrong for him to be charged.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I saw this story on tv not too long ago. His 5 year old doesn't live with him. I cannot believe someone actually got arrested for that. The police actually broke into his house and he woke up at gunpoint, as he had gone back to bed after going downstairs naked. His house was not even close to the street, there was quite a bit of distance from the sidewalk that the mother and her child were walking on, then a large front yard, then the house. I have to wonder how close she was to his windows because I just don't see how she could have seen what she claimed to from the sidewalk. I don't know who is more messed up, her or the judge or the prosecuter for ever taking the case to begin with.
    Anonymous

• We actualy had a guy in a town nearby do this..... he purposely had his curtains open and walked around his house naked..he would even stand in front of the window and waggle his "stuff" at people walking by. He though that because he was in his house he could not get in trouble for it in NYS you can if your intent was to expose yourself to the general public.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 5:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Guess I better start showering with my bathrobe on! What is this, Puritan Times?! "Well, I never...." (likely a large part of the problem!!!) LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I'm so glad you feel that way! I like to stand naked in front of my picture window every morning and evening... the house across the street is up for lease, why don't you move in so that I can feel safe that you and your kids won't look -- EVER.

/end sarcasm
    Anonymous

• It was 5am when he got up to make coffee and the woman and child cut through HIS YARD (at 5am). How in the world was he supposed to know that anyone was even there? it's not like he did this as school children were walking by or during a busy time of day. It was 5a for Heaven's Sake! IK think that his conviction is just stupid!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with tracylynn. The woman made too much of a random event.

AND if it had been a naked woman and a MAN cutting through her yard and peering into her window, he would be arrested for peeping.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I recall this story too, and from what i remember it seems that they went on his lawn for something, or cut across his lawn. From where the street was they shouldn't have been able to see him. We live in cluster homes, so our neighbors are literally right up our butt so to speak. I can see into their kitchen and they into the bedroom here. It's annoying, but i figure we knew that when we bought this house how close we all are and what the "view may be". I've taken showers many times and sometimes I realize the blinds are partially open and will dart across towel in hand and close them. Other times i dress and ignore it. My home, nobody should be lookin in here anyway.

I agree, it's HIS house, and nosey people shouldn't be looking in someone else's home period. If you catch a naked person just look away. Don't gawk/stare/embarrass. He wasn't doing anything sexual just making coffee for crying out loud.

How ridiculous!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Good point mancosmomma what the hell were they doing peeping in his window? why weren't THEY arrested instead?(at least the mom anyway) And from i also recall from the original story, they cut across his lawn(trespassing) so they shouldn't have been there to begin with.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2009