What kind of Santa traditions do you have?

My son is almost two and we are talking to him about Santa coming. I was just wondering how everybody "does" Santa. Do you wrap the presents or not? If so, do you use special paper? Do you leave out cookies? Does Santa ever leave a note? Just wanting to get ideas.

Beatlemama

Asked by Beatlemama at 5:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Holidays

• we wrap presents that are from "mom and dad" in one kind of paper and then whatever else that is from "santa" we wrap in a different kind of paper.

thats all really, we dont have too much of a tradition as for cookies or anything
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would make a practice of differentiating between Santa gifts and gifts from Mom and Dad....we never did, just lumped everything together. Personally, I would suggest something we didn't do, which is to limit the number of gifts Santa leaves to a set number like one, two, or three. Makes life easier when the kids get a little older and they want expensive things...you can explain "limits" better if they know some of it is coming from you!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Growing up, only presents from my parents were wrapped, Santa brought all the toys, and stuff from my parents were clothes, etc. We wrap everything except the big stuff, but only because I'm a freak who likes to wrap gifts.
    I explained the concept of leaving out milk and cookies to my daughter last year (she was 3) but she thought that Santa would rather have mac n cheese! So, that's what we're doing again this year. We also make chex mix for the reindeer.
    shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 6:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• on our way home from family we try to see who can spot rudolphs red nose in the sky...when we get home we trade gifts with each other before getting ready for bed. We set out goodies for santa and his reindeer (carrots or apples for them) cuz they get hungry too. Of course santa wraps the presents in special paper!!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Santa brings the majority of the gifts that are under our tree... Luckily, I have a son and a daughter, so Santa just wraps their gifts in two different types of wrapping paper so that he doesn't have to label each one. We leave out cookies and milk and make "reindeer food" which consists of oatmeal and red and green glitter. Sometimes we sprinkle some of the reindeer food on our front lawn so that they can find us easily. =)
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 8:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• at our house Santa brings one gift for each person and the dog and one "family gift" (if there is one) all unwrapped but with big bows! everything else is wrapped and from us (I like to have them under the tree as we get them so we can look at them ;)
    a couple of years we made a mix to though on the lawn for the reindeer. We also go on the Norad site to see where he is every little while on Christmas Eve
    *my kids are teens now and we still do Santa : )
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i have an awesome one.. my husbands pop calls every year and he is a santa for a mall where he lives and he sounds and looks like him too.. well he calls and my husbands nana jingles the bells and he talks to my kids.. its really neat first time I heard it was when we went to his family for xmas and it was the first year i had done that... i seriously thought for a second there was a real santa.. it sounded so real!
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We just leave him chocolate chip cookies and milk out. Mostly all the gifts under the tree are from Santa and yes, they all have special paper. One or two gifts will be from Mom and Dad with different paper.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We bake cookies together on Christmas eve (2 isn't too young to help pour flour in the bowl and help out!)
    Then at night time we put out a few cookies we made on a special Santa plate we bought. Then we put fresh carrots on the plate for the reindeer to eat. We put milk in a Santa cup we bought that matches the plate and leave a thank you note for him. Then we get online together and look at the Santa tracker to see where he is. When he is getting close we read the night before christmas and he goes to sleep. Then we wrap the presents in a special paper that is always Santa themed and put them out quickly. My DH guards his bedroom door to make sure he doesn't slip out of his bedroom! If it is snowing that night we put a little fake snow in the fire place around my Dh's shoes to look like Santa's footprints.
    Anonymous

• That snow idea is cute, anon. We always leave out oreos for Santa and they make "reindeer food" which is oatmeal, sprinkles, and glitter mixed up which we sprinkle outside in the grass to attract the reindeer. We read the night before Christmas and the Christmas Story, they put on their new PJ's and go to bed. Once we are sure they are asleep, we bring out ALL the presents...we don't ever put any under the tree before Christmas eve. Sometimes the Santa gifts are wrapped, sometimes not. Depends on what it is. They get one or two gifts from Santa and the rest are from mom and dad or grandpa and grandma, and acouple from other family members. Santa always has his own paper.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009