Would you ever "write" your child's homework for them?

If you do, would you expect the teacher to accept it? How would you react if your child turned in homework written by you and the teacher made him redo it before he could participate in today’s holiday party?

I made one of my students redo his homework while the rest of the class began the party today. I’m wondering if the mom will have the nerve to complain.

maxswolfsuit

Asked by maxswolfsuit at 6:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• only before he could write by himself, we did dictations of his original stuff or narration of Grimm's Fairy Tales or Aesop's Fables.

I'm a homeschooler too, and I am NOT letting him off with the "boys just don't have neat writing" crap. now he writes and he re-writes what's not done neatly.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would NEVER write my child's work for him (unless, say, he broke both arms or something LOL). I don't know how I'd react because I honestly don't think I'd be stupid enough to do something like that.

We actually Homeschool. He knows that he's expected to write certain stuff. And if he does it messy or I can tell he just didn't try then he'll do it again - properly.

Technically it's "cheating" isn't it, because how do you know those are his actual answers or hers? If she has the nerve to complain I'd have the nerve to say that to her.
    Anonymous

• O.K. is the child capable of writing well? I ask because I am the mom of 3 kids with various degree's of special needs. My oldest has visual motor processing problems, she is on or above grade level in all other respects, you just can't read her hand writing well. When she was younger I would write her work for her or type it for her if it was English. My twins have serious developmental delays, so I often write their work, so that I can check it as we go and so that the teacher can actually read it. I would not do this if they were able to write clearly. And my oldest now types her own work, we use graph paper for the math and that helps. So if the child is able to write acceptably then you were right to make him re-do it.  If not then I would have discussed it with the mom first.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Oh heck no! My kids do their own work. I don't even give them the answers to their work, I guide them along in the right direction to get the answers, like " read the sentence again, slower this time" or "read each word again and tell me what each one means and then you'll know if it's the word your looking for." But to write the work itself, no way. That is sooooo wrong on so many levels. How is that kid even learning? And what was that mom thinking? You were in no way wrong. You did a good thing and honestly, you should have a convo with that mom about why he child brought work done, curiously enough, in her writing. lol Good for you!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Good question teamquin. He is more than capable and wrote an excellent essay in 35 minutes at school today. I teach an ESE inclusion class and have several students who dictate writing assignments becausethey can't do it on their own. He isn't one of them.  He does fine in school most of the time. But at home he insists he can't do it and mom buys it. He told me she wrote it for him because he was too tired to do it himself.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• too bad if she does.

well done you.
    Anonymous

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!! The child should be doing ALL his or her own homework. You did the right thing. If the parent doesn't like it, too bad for her. She is teaching her child very bad habits. This child learned a very valuable lesson today.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My mom used to do crap like that for my brother and she wondered why he struggled in school. Kind of hard to learn your spelling words when your mom is the one writing them 5 times each. He would always tell her his hand hurt because he had so much homework and she would end up doing it for him. Also because he would screw around so much doing the other stuff that by the time he got to his spelling it would be 9pm and he had to go to bed.

I've never done any of my kids' homework. I have made them redo messy work (which they hate). The one time my oldest didn't get her assignment done before bed I wrote a not to the teacher explaining that there aren't enough hours in the day for the amount of homework she assigned. It was 4th grade and she did homework from 2:30pm until 8pm (an hour past her bedtime).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I write my daughter's work for her cause she can't write yet when she does now how to write she will be doing all her own work
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 9:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't buy the "boys have bad handwriting" crap either. My DH's penmanship is damn near perfect! His cursive script is beautiful :) And on the other side of that, my SD's (15) handwriting is HORRIBLE. Since she has hit HS, her teachers have begun complaining that it is illegible & we have made her do some of the really bad ones over again. Her excuse is that she can type 70 WPM with almost no mistakes. I told her that was fine, but she doesn't type her homework, so tough crap! She did not like that answer LOL!
    OP, I think you did the right thing! Unless there is a medical problem or physical/mental impairment to keep the child from writing, they should absolutely do it on their own. How else are they going to learn?? Jeez...
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2009