Another student at my 10 year old cousin's school threatened to bring a gun and shoot him and now his mom is flipping out...please read details

Today I got a call from my cousin who lives in New York, she was picking her son up from the bus stop when another student on the bus told Alex, my 10 year old cousin, that he was going to bring a gun to school and shoot Alex with it. My cousin overheard this and immediately called the school - the school informed her they were not doing anything until they got both sides of the story and when she called the cops they said they won't do anything without a referral from the school. You would think with all the school violence that a threat would be taken more seriously. My cousin has already said she is keeping Alex out of school until the matter is handled and is extremely pissed that they want the other kid's "story" when my cousin heard him threaten her son. Does anyone have any suggestions about what my cousin could do to get the school to take this seriously?

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's a tough one. I can't blame her for wanting to pull her kid out of school. But then you have the question of 'for how long?' What is 'settled'?
    I live in the area of the Columbine High school, and this question is something that gets asked a lot. I just emailed someone I know that is a teacher in the Jeffco school district (same as columbine) and asked him what he thinks -
    it all makes you think.
    Anonymous

• I don't blame her for keeping her child home. She should probably call the bus driver and see if she can find out if any of the other kids on the bus heard this and call the school to see what has been done concerning it. Also call the District Office and let THEM know about it....ESPECIALLY if the school has not taken any action. Around here, any threats are dealt with swiftly, and severly. Ya know, it might not hurt to call the child's mother and tell her about what her child said....if she knows how to contact her. Sounds like that child has some real issues
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What is really bad is that Alex could end up getting suspended. Some schools suspend both kids when there is a problem.

Homeschool.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• This is not only terrifying but appalling. If the principal refuses to do anything then maybe your cousin needs to contact the parents of this violent child and see what they are like? Find out if they are reasonable and have firearms in their home. I would dig and dig to get someone to listen. I think I'd show up at the police station and demand to know why they'd ignore this and what do they plan to do if this little brat does show up with a weapon? I'd consider an attorney and sicking the attorney on the child's parents. Keeping Alex out of school is the safest thing she can do. Does he have any bullying history that is noted with this child? Any proof of any kind of this kids behavior to show he's unpredictable or potentially dangerous? The world has gone to hell. Good luck
    Anonymous

• My policy is to take threats very seriously.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• tell your cousin to homeschool, that is bullshit! I am thankful (and saddened) everytime I hear stories like this one. I will keep your cousin in my thoughts. No child (or parent) should have to live with that fear.
    Anonymous