How would you feel about your *voluntary charitable donation* being used this way?

I can see both sides of this one. It's a sweet story, but yeah, that's a lot of money that could've fed/clothed/sheltered quite a few people:

"Homeless couple marries with donations

Couple living at the Center for the Homeless ties the knot. Several people make donations to make military ceremony and reception possible."

Right now, there's only one comment on the story - from someone who is now a former supporter of the shelter where the couple lives, thanks to seeing them take all the donations instead of only having a basic ceremony and passing the rest on to the shelter.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/79681372.html?storySection=story

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• They're homeless... I would think that a full on ceremony and reception would be pretty darn low on their list of things they need! I think that's a total waste of money, to be honest. I would prefer that the money I donate to a homeless shelter be used for ESSENTIALS, like food, clothing, a roof over people's head, not parties...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had to count for several minutes and breathe slowly before answering. I've both lived and done volunteer work at homeless shelters and yet, this article pissed me off. No, I don't wanna see my donation used this way. I'd rather train a person to get a job, get an apartment, buy a car, repair their credit, reunite with their children, than pay for a wedding. If you can't afford to move out of the shelter, than you ain't got no business getting married, especially with my money. I don't care how long they've been dating. We all know: the rules change after you live together and again, after you get married. As far as I'm concerned, all the people who contributed just cosigned this couple's bs.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• THIS right HERE is what has gotten our country in the situation it is in. People dont NEEEEDDDDD million dollar first homes...but they really really want em. People dont NEEEEEDDDD $30,000 weddings......but they WANT them. Heck, people dont NEEEEEDDDDD cable and Internet....we did YEARS without them when we were broke and struggling. While I get that this is a sentimental thing and probably meant to be a feel good story....omg people priorities!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• the way your quote is worded there were donations SPECIFICALLY FOR their wedding, and I'd imagine some were difficult by nature to transfer to others, like floral arrangements which would have required conversion to a gift certificate for services that would be raffled off to raise money for the shelter.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. Feed 'em, clothe 'em, help them find work, pay for the deposit on an apartment.... All's cool. Wedding, NOPE?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If people earn their money, they can spend it any way they please as far as I'm concerned.

If I'm donating money so that someone can have the basic necessities in life, that's what I expect my money to go. Extravagances for people who can't make ends meet is just outrageous to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• MY DH HAD AN 80K/ YR SALARY AND I DIDN'T GET A WEDDING!!!
    Anonymous

• Where is this couple going to live afterward...the shelter?! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Waste of money and no id not want to give to a charity to have it spent like that
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009