Cheesecake.

Ok. I'm making a cheese cake for a chirstmas party on Sunday. It's my second one ever and my first was dry(they all said it was good but they're liars)
Any and all tips are appreciated!

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 7:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'm a Pastry Chef turned SAHM and my specialty is cheesecake.. made one last night actually.
    1.) Do not overmix.. you can beat the cheese to death until you add the eggs. Once the eggs are added, you only mix until they are barely combined.
    2.) Make sure your oven temp is correct. Baking at too high or too low will affect the stabilization of the cake.
    3.) Ingredients MUST be room temperature before using.. cheese, eggs, milk, cream, butter, etc.. I take mine out the night before if possible. This ensures that the cake will not have lumps at all and that it mixes quickly and air is not incorporated too quickly.
    4.) I always spray my pans liberally so that the cake does not stick.
    5.) Once it's out of the oven, run a knife around the edges. Then I freeze it overnight. It makes it easy to remove from the pan and place on a cake board.
    6.) The middle will still "jiggle" when it's finished baking.
    7.) Bring to room temp...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Follow the recipe to a T. I would recommend getting a spring form pan. A cheescake is done when it appears set at the edges, but a little undercooked in the center.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't do a big one with like 5 packages of cream cheese in a springform pan. Try the Philly 3 step cheesecakes. There are bunches of different flavors you can do. Very easy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• A cheesecake is done when it registers 150 degrees on an instant read themometer. Go to 160 and it almost always cracks. Grease the pan well and when you take it out let it cool for only a few minuetes, and then run a knife around the sides to loosen it from the pan. If it sticks to the sides when it cools it can contract a bit and cause a crack. If you are worried about dryness don't overbake, and you can always top it with cherry pie filling and decorate with whipped cream.
    .
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Make a no bake cheesecake instead. I can't stand baked cheesecake.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Answered at 5:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 by: tyfry7496
    Make a no bake cheesecake instead. I can't stand baked cheesecake.

LOL. I'm with you. I like them wet and creamy. Probably would call it cream cheese pie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If you have any questions let me know! As a matter of fact, I have to go get mine out of the freezer and glaze it with ganache and put it on a board for tonight's party! Yummy!! Chocolate cheesecake is wonderful...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Wow!!! Thanks guys!!!

What about having a pan of water in the oven? Someone told me to do that to help it not dry out. Does it work?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• This is an awesome link that tells everything about making cheesecakes
    http://www.baking911.com/cakes/cheesecake101.htm

Here is another that covers "waterbaths" for cheesecakes
    http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/bakingtips.cheesecakes/Cheesecakes.cfm
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I use a springform pan. I wrap the pan in heavy duty foil and place it in a pan of water. Do not put too much water in the pan so that it won't get into your cheesecake! This keeps it from getting dry around the edges and getting cracks. Make sure you don't overbake.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2009