night terror

my son, 20 m/o had his first night terror tonight! I did some reading and I understand the difference between terrors and nightmares, but what causes night terrors?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Not sure but don't wake him. My grandson had them and they were horrible. The doctor said don't wake him. He outgrew them thank goodness

Answer by admckenzie at 9:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• well I realized after the first attempt that I should no longer try to wake him. He wasnt responding anyways. In fact, just calling out his name and saying "mama is here" seemed to make it worse!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• changes in routine, the loss or introduction of someone, new house, new room. basically changes in a secure environment. thats what my dr told me.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• actually none of those apply to us hellokitty! no major changes recently at all. same routine for quite some time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It really is worse for you than it is for him. It is a perfectly normal thing for kids to do and while it may be caused by some of the things mentioned, as well as an increased awareness of his world, For some kids, no one really knows. My son's started at 10 months and ranged from a few minutes to hours. He would even interact with us at times. He has never remembered any of it. Our pedi said he would grow out of it by four or five, which is disconcerting when you are looking at years ahead. But she was right and as he got older they did lessen in frequency and intensity. He is six now and only very occasionally still has one but they are minor compared to what he had as a baby. Good Luck. I know it's nerve racking.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My gs did have night terrors when he was very young... I just sat by him sloathing him until they were gone... never woke him... don't know what caused them. He had a few, but they seemed to be gone now...
    I only have another probably with gs... he now sleep walks when he has had an extremely busy busy day... we just guide him back to his room when he does that...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• We are dealing with night terrors as well and my ds is only 6 months...it is hard for me to deal with because I do not like that my baby has something horrible to dream about...I wish I could fix it. My doc told me there is no way to know what he is dreaming about but it could be birth or the fear of mommy or daddy leaving (we both work). I wish there was some way to fix it, other than just soothing him without waking him. I feel you on this one and good luck!
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009