My son has a fever of 103.5 and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong, but they didn't run any tests. He has had motrin in his system all day but the fever hasn't gone down, should I take him to the ER?

My 2 yr old broke out w/ a fever last night of 103.7, I gave him motrin and he slept through the night, which he has never done before. This morning his temp was 101.2 and I took him to the doctors office, I had to wait for 3 hrs before getting him seen, and by then his temp was back up to 103.5, they found nothing but his throat looked red, they did a strep culture and sent us on our way. It's now tonight and his temp is still that high, and he's very sleepy and just laying around. I've debated on taking him to the ER, would you? He doesn't have any other sypmtoms.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Health

• I would for peace of mind. A fever isn't bad, it is the body's way of fighting an infection somewhere in the body. But over 103, I'd have to go. Hope he feels better
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would probably alternate Tylenol and Motrin. It's probably a virus, if so, not much they would do anyway. Just watch his fever, if it gets any higher and the Tylenol and Motrin don't work, I certainly would be going to ER.
    Anonymous

• When was the last time you gave him motrin? If it was more then 30 minutes ago and his temp hasn't dropped then i would take him to the ER.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would take him just to be on the safe side..I've heard that if a fever isn't reduced by tylenol or motrin then you need to see someone...'course I'm a paranoid mama..but it never hurts to be sure..and you'll sleep better tonight if you KNOW he's okay.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No, I wouldn't. Keep giving him the Motrin, keep him hydrated and let him sleep. A fever is the bodies way of getting rid of an infection. Did the doctor's office call back and tell you if he had strep or not? I would give it a couple more days and see if the fever breaks. It could take 2-3 days to break. If he starts acting weird, then take him to the ER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Keep giving him Motrin or Tylenol and wait and watch carefully. Make sure he is drinking plenty. If something else changes, like vomiting, diarrhea, or he refuses to drink, then call the Dr. or go to the ER. Just a fever alone isn't enough to go in, IMHO, because there are several childhood viruses that can cause a fever, nothing else, and go away in a few days. (Roseola is the most common in that age group- causes 3-5 days of a high fever then a red rash breaks out). My DD had a high fever for 6 days in July. We had her in the dr. twice, and roseola was the first thought. By day 5, they did blood work which showed infection. Infections won't disappear in a few days, but a virus will. That's probably why they sent you home. That being said, don't be afraid to insist on testing if your instinct tells you to. Trust the Mommy gut!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 8:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had to look to see if you were my dd writing this question! Her son did the same thing. The dr didn't give them anything and his fever has gone back up so she is taking him to the ER.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Thanks, everyone. The last time I gave him Motrin was 4 hours ago, so I'm going to give him Tylenol (the Motrin is gone now) He's sound to sleep right now, so I don't want to wake him and take his temp or give him meds. The doctors office told me to call them tomorrow mornign to get the strep results, they did say that it's very rare for a child under the age of 3 to get strep (Ive never heard that before)
    I'm a paranoid momma also, I just hate seeing him like this, He's NEVER been sick before this. :(
    I was wondering: How long should it be before the meds start working, is it 30 minutes?
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• motrin is pretty effective. Try alternating the tylenol in between the motrin doses. See if that helps. A fever is a bodies natural defense but this is a long haul. A body is like a car overheating. Put your child in a tepid bath, and MAKE the chiid drink water. Popsicles are good if you have them, or gatorade. Make your child drink liquids this is VERY important. With a sore throat probably doesn't want to drink but make your child drink, and make your child drink alot. This should help. I dropped a fever of over 105 degrees on a child I was babysitting, with putting him in a tepid bath, popsickles, and drinking water. He drank alot of water at 4 and didn't want to but I made him drink. Even if your child cries hold him and make him drink. This will help cool his body off. Good luck mom, you may be in for a long night. Try this it is easier than a trip to the ER.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• oh the child I was babysitting I also gave him a dose of a fever reducer, can't remember which one. Your child already has that so try the bath, and liquids.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2009