What type of exercise is safe during preg? Is it normal to cramp slightly after cardio?

I lift weights, do cardio, take ab lab classes, and do squats, etc. What is safe and what isn't? Anyone else out there do these types of exercises? I did 30 on the treadmil and after I had a slight crampy feeling afterward but it went away. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you cant do ab exercises, lift too heavy of weights, or run. you can do everything else. the elliptical is a really good cardio machine to use while pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i wouldnt reccoment running..u can try walking or walking swiftly like power walking.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Swimming is the best. Long walks instead of running, yoga, pilates. Avoid strenous exercises and stick to low impact
    hillma

Answer by hillma at 10:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Stick with what you were doing before pregnancy. If you were running before, then you should be okay doing so while pregnant, but I would stick to a track, because your balance is different when pregnant, and you are more likely to fall. Walking is generally safe for most women, as is swimming. I lifted weights, walked, swam, and rode my bike through most of my pregnancy. I would avoid doing too much ab stuff, because most of it requires you to lay on your back, which as your pregnancy progresses, cuts off blood flow to the placenta.
    Look into a prenatal yoga or pilates class, or even a DVD you can do at home. And listen to your body, it will tell you when to slow down. Don't push yourself too hard, because it's very easy to get dizzy and light headed, which leads me to water- make sure to drink plenty of it!
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2009