What do you do when your 3 yr. old starts throwing things at you?

ScarlettBe1

Asked by ScarlettBe1 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• SPANK HER BUTT AND TELL HER NO !
    Anonymous

• we bought our son a baseball mitt.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• throw them back? j/k!
    is he throwing his toys? take them away..if he has no toys, he can't play or throw them. knickknacks? doesn't really matter what the object is. you need to firmly tell him that his behavior is unacceptable. tell him why, and sit him down in time-out. be consistent, and tough it out..he'll eventually get the picture. most kids don't like time-out..or not having things readily available to their reach.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Take them away and don't give them back. You do NOT need to spank her. There are too many people that spank for every little thing. Try TEACHING and SHOWING your child what is appropriate behavior. Talk to your kids, instead of spanking. Earn respect and give respect.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree. Take them away
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i'm not sure, because I think a 3yr old should no that is bad behavior. So I would take away privledges.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• DISCIPLINE
    Anonymous

• My son was throwing things at one. I started by telling him, "we hand over the toy" (or whatever it was. Then I exaggerated the motions of handing something to my husband saying, "here Daddy this is for you. Look I'm handing Daddy this gently." I emphasized the word gently. We would use the word GENTLE as a code word for you need to be careful and not throw. He got it quickly. The coaching worked well until most recently when he just turned three. Now he is just flat out testing the limit.  We remind him again to be gentle and we also take away the toy and put it in time out. I sit with him and explain why we need to be gentle and careful. He does cry but I keep him in my lap and then let him go off and play after three minutes. The toy remains in time out for about 15 minutes. When he gets it back I remind him of being kind. It works well for us and episodes are not frequent.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• You have to use your disciplining mommy voice. I saw it on Super Nanny, and it worked.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Take the toys away that he/she is throwing at you and don't give them back until they get the message that throwing toys at people is not acceptable behavior. When he/she ends up with no toys to throw or play with, then they'll understand you mean business.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2009