Maine republican leaves party over health care, thoughts?

AP -- Minority Republicans in the Maine House have lost a member.

Rep. Jim Campbell of Newfield said Thursday he's withdrawn from the Republican Party and will become the only legislator with no party affiliation. That leaves the House with 95 Democrats, 55 Republicans and one unenrolled or independent member. The Senate also is controlled by Democrats.
"I have been very frustrated with the Republican Party in Maine, and nationally, for their failure to address the health care crisis in a meaningful way," Campbell said.
Campbell said his move was a long time coming.
full statement:

This move has been a long time coming for me. I have been very frustrated with the Republican Party in Maine, and nationally, for their failure to address the health care crisis in a meaningful way. Nobody has all the answers, but the Republican Party has none when it comes to health care reform.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This move is about the working people and our seniors who need action. I became a Republican because I believed the party stood for something. I hope to send a message to the Republican Party - and the Democratic Party - that enough is enough; it is time to stop blocking progress in the hope of partisan gain.

To the people of my district who elected me four times, I want to assure them I will continue to stand up and fight for the seniors in our community and for good jobs and opportunities for young people and families. I will continue to speak my mind and tell the truth as I see it to both sides of the aisle, what ever party you are in.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Anonymous

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• As someone who's more loyal to conservative principles than the Republican Party, I'm generally happy to see a person who's not dedicated to conservative principles get out...more room for a real conservative to get in.
    Anonymous

Who gets to judge who the "real conservative" is? They must have to pass that "purity" test....

and umm, why is he not a true conservative because he wants health care reform?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I applaud him for standing up and owning up. He is right.. the antics that have been applied in this debate have been horrendously bias, prejudicial and outright against human hospitality.
    Anonymous

• Hey...I am kinda pissed they didnt address this too while they had control and could implememnt some of the things they are talking about now :) But I checked out the links and NONE of them said he supported the CURRENT legislation going through. So I wonder what HIS meaningful ideas are?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Hey...I am kinda pissed they didnt address this too while they had control and could implememnt some of the things they are talking about now :) But I checked out the links and NONE of them said he supported the CURRENT legislation going through. So I wonder what HIS meaningful ideas are?

What I gather is that he doesn't loves dems OR repubs, but is upset with the fact that the pubs are not negotiating in good faith and have NO intention of voting for ANYTHING.....so they are just delaying, stalling and not participating. He didn't switch to be a dem, he is Independent

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Dems don't have a plan any Conservative can get behind. They were closed out of the process when things went behind closed doors. Dems want this to be their baby and when it fails and won't pass they will blame Republicans. Politics as usual both parties suck this guy is just trying to make a name for himself and doesn't give two $hits.
    Anonymous

• Yeah.....But ALL the repub Ideas are being shut down before they go anywhere and Dems are saying either agree with us or we will do what we want anyway....how does THAT lead to negotiating :) Like I said tho...they had their chance and blew it...which pisses me off too. BUT that doesnt mean I want THIS crappy bill to go through either!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009