We decided to join Cord-Blood Registry to store our baby's stem cells. Thoughts on this investiment?

Stem Cell Extraction from the Umbilical Cord Blood.

ashliebrooke

Asked by ashliebrooke at 11:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my thought... its expensive, but if you can afford it, that is great! i wish we could have done that for our kids too.
    momsamillion

Answer by momsamillion at 11:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• You can donate it for free, it is not the cure all myrical it is thought to be.
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 12:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I was told it's a waste of money because the hospital HAS to take the blood from the cord and store it for a specific amount of time but I am not sure if that was just in the hospitals I worked for. I was also told that with the cord blood registry that it will be there for much longer. So if you can afford to do so..I say go for it. You never know. It's kinda like an insurance for your child.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• We did that with our first son....it is expensive. I often work with sick children and so part of my decision was an emotional "just in case". But for my second we were just going to donate his cord blood...but I kept forgetting to call about the paperwork!
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Something else you can look into... LOTS of research is now being done that says that baby teeth contain the same stem cells. I'm not sure exactly how you do it, but if you can save baby teeth, it's a lot cheaper than the cord blood. Either way, it's a great idea.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I didn't know that about the baby teeth! That is way cheaper!
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• We didn't do it. We opted to delay cord clamping. Please check out this article. :)

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I think private cord blood banking isn't worth the price, but I definitely think that more parents should donate their child's cord blood. There are no fees for the donor, it could save a child's life, and it could still be possible for the kid it came from to get back his/her units if they need it.
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 9:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I banked my son but with Viacord. You can have delayed cord clamping and still bank the babies cord blood
    guccichic

Answer by guccichic at 12:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Great choice on banking your baby's cord blood.
    josephine415

Answer by josephine415 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2008