what would u do...fighting with dh over crappy landlord...

first in my bedroom (1st fl) there is a door which leads to a hallway that has basement door. yesturday im on couch talken with a friend who stoped by..smoke alarms goes off scares me to death was gonna call firedepartment and have them look to assure me needless to say 1 min later knock on door its landlord checking alrms fine i said next time could u please warn me and why also i am watching 3 small kids so running out of house with 2 toddlers and a 6 week old hard. i give him rent today and he calls dh asking whats up my butt he does say well u couldve warned her his replay was i did i knocked...no he did not he did after alarm my front door is right there and i have a dog who will bark if she hears the door. he didnt knock friend will varifiy. when he was in basement he knocked over a box of toys and said to me knocked it over u should get that before it gets ruined i went down stairs its knocked over and sitting in.cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You need to move for the health & safety of your children - simple as that! If I were you, I would start looking for a nicer place with the same rent or even a few dollars more if it would get you out of that dump.

And, depending on what the laws are where you live, it sounds like the landlord is breaking several of them, at least he would be where I live. You need to educate yourself on your rights as a tenant & what your landlord's responsibilities are. You should also have a copy of your lease & be very aware of what is written in it. Here, if a landlord wants to do anything maintenance-wise on your place, he must give written notice ahead of time (at least one week ahead) before doing anything. He may also not enter your residence w/o good cause w/o your express permission unless it is an emergency situation and you cannot be reached (eg...pipes break & its flooding).
    Anonymous

• nasty water...but before i could say something to him he was gone. so i tell dh and he says well u know how he is why cant u to get along..ummm because hes a jerk to me and his way of thinking is old man farmer women are to have no say and cook. ( i am not like that. ) i will speak up he said to my dh once u should make her hush up. dh laughed it off. lanlords wife never says one word and is at his beck and call. and dont get me started on the lead proublm we found out we have ( sons blood/lead leval is a 10 not really good ) and lanlord is mad cause state is involved now to make sure he fixes problm. i want to move out as soon as lease it up dh wants to wait 1 yr till we get our house..what do i do. i cant take this jerk another year, we pay rent on time, we do everything do all upkeep of the place he just collects rent. what do i do before i smack this horrible man.
    Anonymous

• why would you store toys somewhere that has nasty water on the ground. that's health hazards waiting 2 happen. they should be in a sealed container. get rid of them or sterilize them and store them properly and away from where landlord can bother them. U should listen to dh and suck it up. if u know landlord is a jerk then ignore him.
    Anonymous

• i will like to note the toys were in a sealed container but when he knocked them over it popped open and was laying in the water, they were on a shelf and he said he bumped into them. wasent alot of toys ( maybe 8 total ) and they were thrown away when kids went to bed. also the lead is being handles now by my state/town its just taken longer for him to get off his butt ( he will be fined lol ) i have asked dh lets just look and see whats out there but he likes it here and were gonna be looking for a house in about 9 months so he feels we should stay till we get something. i say no lets just go. but thank u for your input xo
    Anonymous