Computer

do you think its okay for me to buy my 8 year old a laptop notebook? she likes getting on the computer to do work that they have at school and games.Just wondering. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 8 yr old would probably end up breaking one.
    I think it is a bit much for a child that age. but then agian I dont believe in giving kids sooo much. what do they have to asspire to earn if they get all the nice stuff handed to them as kids. If you give her a computer at 8 what will you give her at 15?
    Anonymous

• my child gets on mine all the time and has never mishandled it. She knows that its expensive and not a toy.This year we thought it would be good for her, she has a learning disability so she gets alot of help with the websites for learning. This gift is very important to her and she will appreciate it, now and later on in life. Shes not one to be spoiled, i just thought it would help
    Anonymous

• If you think that she is responsible enough to take care of it, and if that's what she wants for Xmas, then I'd get it. My 7-year old twins use my laptop all the time and they know how to care for it and if I could afford it, I'd buy them each their own. Right now they'd much rather have a bunch of toys with the money instead and my mother gave them one of her older desktops so they use that for now.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If your child is mature enough for one... my DD is 7yrs old and has had her own desk top PC for a few years now. But, if I had the xtra money I would think about getting my DD a laptop.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son has had his own desktop since he was 3, but I don't let him use the laptop unsupervised. The PC is more sturdy, he's only dealing with the mouse and keyboard. The laptop is too easy to drop and using a touchpad can be frustrating for a kid until they get the hang of it. If you have room for it, I'd suggest that over a laptop until she's older.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Absolutely. My kids have been on the computer since they were 2-3. They each have their own.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2009