Just confirming a theory I saw on Facebook...will you answer?

An old school friend of mine put a joke about men in her status and said that 80% of women oppose marriage and isn't this joke funny..... I think her statistic is a load of horse poo. Seriously? I know that some women on here are against marriage, but not 80%. Where do you weigh in?

MonicaE521

Asked by MonicaE521 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• happily married here and all my friends are married and my dh's friends all married but 2.
    Anonymous

• I'm confused...
    Anonymous

• I really don't think a site for moms is the best place to ask this, as the majority seem to be currently married.

I'm personally widowed, so yes.. I believe in marriage.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I really dont understand any reason to be against it.

and to ginger - Im soooo sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

• I'm against marriage.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• 80% is way too high. I firmly believe in marriage.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Im curious admckenzie - why?
    And is it againts marriage in general or just you being married?
    Anonymous

• I've been very happily married for almost 22 years. Obviously I believe in marriage, but only if it's a mutual decision between both people. If it's one-sided, then it isn't a good decision for either one.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I believe in marraige... I think it is a wonderful institution.... but not for selfish people. You have to give 100% on both sides and think of the other person first. If either party is unwilling to do so then you dont end up with a very good marriage. Not that a marraige can not work with both people giving less... but the people in it wont be as happy. I also think you need to be mature enough to make the right choice... that means knowing your self, knowing your goals in life, and knowing the same in the person you choose. You need to choose well with your heart AND your mind.

I think most people who dont believe in it simply can not make that commitment to another person, or have made such a bad choice in thepast that they are bitter about the whole thing from here on out - sad really.

And I have no problem what so ever with same sex marriage.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing the exact polling group that led to that stat, I don't think it sounds right for the general population either.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009