How to know when your kid is getting enough food??

Ok so...I started feeding my daughter solid foods 3 times a day three weeks ago. And she will poop three times when I do that. But if I give her solid breakfast and solid dinner and snacks in the afternoon then its only once a day. I feel like three poops a day is kinda alot. She is still breastfeeding inbetween all this. And having normal wet diapers. So am I giving her to much or is that normal. BTW she is 11.5 months.

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Three poops a day is normal and is a sign the digestive system is in good working order. Technically everyone should poop within 30-60 minutes after they eat. Might be a little much, but if she's eating on her own she's fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Well your 1 year well child check is just around the corner.

The doctor can tell you she's doing well with her weight gain - which is going to be the best indicator because normal growth spurts and teething can really make their appetites change drastically from day to day.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't think how much they poop, in general, tells you much. One of my kids only goes once a day - like clock work. My daughter will go once every couple of days to as much as twice a day. One of my sons goes once to 4 times a day. At that age, they generally eat when hungry and stop eating when they are full. Some days my kids it SO much and other days they seem to eat so little. Unless there are other concerns, I wouldn't be worried about it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• There is no standard for how many times a day anyone poops. 5 times a day can be normal, once a week can be normal (not necessarily healthy though). Nothing wrong with her going when she's going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• By the time my daughter was 5/6months old she was eating table food. She just wouldn't eat baby food any longer. She had teeth. And I just chopped and pureed everything. She is now 7yrs old.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2009