Not sure what I should do..help please.

My DD is a week old today. She has been sleeping through the night since I had her. I wake her up every couple hours to feed her. Am I doing the wrong thing? I mean, should I just let her sleep all night? How will I know if she's getting enough to eat if I don't feed her at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wake her too. Does she want to eat when you wake her?
    Anonymous

• the baby should regulate how much she eats. i mean they won't starve themselves. i have heard that you should wake your baby to feed. in my opnion though and it's just that i wouldn't if she slept through the night. my baby brother slept through the night for my mother and of course as a 1 yr old i still didn't. your baby may not really be sleeping through the night. i would assume sense you wake her that you wake her before she wakes up and that maybe you don't give her the chance to wake you up. idk. i wish i was in your shoes although 5 wks along she slept since 11 to almost 6 this morning. she slept better then me cause i still can't fully rest or sleep knowing she is right next to me. ask your pediatrician. i think it's a personal choice.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• YOUR DOING THE RIGHT THANG !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 10:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If the baby is asleep she's not hungry. Just keep an eye on her wet diapers. six to eight a day and she's getting plenty. I'd count my blessing if any of mine slept thru at that age. if you're still concerned call your pediatrician. They don't mind getting calls at night in fact they expect it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Maybe I'm different from everyone else, but after having my first not sleep through the night until he was 2 I decided never to wake my second at night (I would during the day of course) and she ended up being a great sleeper. She was 8 lbs and healthy though, maybe I wouldn't do it if she would have been really tiny or had some problem, but for her it was fine and I'm doing the same with my next.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I never wake my kids. Unless something makes it medically necessary, most kids will wake when they need to eat. My 2 week old sleeps 8-9 hours at night.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I didn't wake my son when he was a baby. I just waited for him to wake on his own and if it was past feeding time I was prepared because I knew he would wake and want fed immediately. He has always been average on weight.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• By the way, how do you know she's sleeping through the night if you're waking her up? I'm just curious because my daughter would go 4 hours from birth, then nurse and go right back to sleep (usually, there was a while where she would be wide awake for like 2 hours in the middle of the night), it slowly got longer and longer until she was sleeping 8 hours at 6 weeks old. If I would have woken her up after 3 hours I wouldn't have known that she would sleep 4 hours naturally. And in my experience waking them up trains them to wake up and then you have them still waking up even though they don't need to anymore. Like I said that's my experience, I've only had 2 kids so It's not like I"m an expert.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I consider it sleeping through the night when she sleeps for 5 or 6 hours without eating. Most newborns are up and ready to eat every 2-4 hours. My first daughter did the same thing. I woke her every few hours to feed her too. I gave her an opportunity to wake on her own and she never did. I tried this for a few nights to see if she would wake up herself. I did the same thing with my new baby. I just want to ensure she is getting enough to eat. I know someone who put her son to bed at 6pm and even if he woke during the night, she didn't feed him. She said she was putting him on a feeding schedule. During the day, it seemed he wasn't getting enough to eat. He was literally eating every hour.
    Anonymous