What would you do with these books, etc.???

My kids have so many books that we like to read but dh thinks it's way too many to have he told me and the kids to get rid of them donate them or something :(

They also have these paper books that come in once a month and it has lots of activities to do like reading, find a certain something in a picture, games etc. it got to the point where we have so many that some of them we haven't used...not sure what to do with those. All I know is that my dh wants our house clear and not messy. I respect that...having a clean home makes it easier to breath in a way...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well we LOVE books so I can't imagine getting rid of them. My hubby has over 2000 in his library and the kids probably have a couple hundred. I think I would check with local schools, libraries, and churches. Oh, what about a women's shelter?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i love childrens books too...i even have some from when i was a kid (some little golden books) If you don't want them though and they are in good condition i would donate them to some daycare centers
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Why don't you come up with a good way to organize them instead? Maybe you could put half up in an attic or closet or something and rotate every few months. Maybe his problem stems from them not getting picked up more than there are too many. Sell some non-educational toys and buy or make a bookshelf. You could even use milk crates stacked and tied together to make a bookshelf. Make it easy for kids to participate in putting them up.
    Anonymous

• I would donate them to a women's shelter, or Literacy program or offer on Freecycle.com.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• In our town the Salvation Army runs several shelters, we usually donate to them because I know that whatever can't be used by the families and/or children will be sold at their stores.

Or check with your local library, many have annual book sales and will accept donations.

For the books that you want to keep I'd suggest a bookshelf or two, my son has his own little "library". He's very proud of it and has learned to keep his books in order.
    sheilaj817

Answer by sheilaj817 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Have hubby build some bookshelves for them all. Who gets rid of books?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• paperbackswap.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Local library would be happy to take them assuming they're in good condition. They may add them to circulation or put them aside for a book sale.

FreeCycle is always a good option. We've been thrilled to receive AND to give away books via FreeCycle

I DO get rid of books because there simply isn't space. I don't need the board books that DD had when she was 1 and 2. I'd rather gift them to another child than simply hold onto them for nostalgia. I have saved the few absolute favorites she had at that age but certainly not ALL of the books we've owned...
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Offer them to your kids' teachers or school. I take donated books and send them home with kids I know don't have any or use them in my classroom library.  I think getting rid of children's books is a good idea because they grow out them as they get older and new things to meet their needs. I'd keep a couple of the favorites, but think it's important to keep all of them.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• We have similar issues. Then when my son's school has a book fair and they try to convince me I need another book...groan. Usually we have most of the books they feature. My MIL loves collecting children's books and has for years before my son was even born. I asked her to stop buying so many for him and she gave me a very nasty look and claimed it is her grandparent right. In the end I do not believe it is her right to go against my wishes as a parent but I let the book issue drop. Can you have too many books? Yes. When your house feels more like you could be a lending library. I gave some books backs that were not classics and my MIL is saving them for my BIL's future children. Then I wrapped some others up and parceled them out to coworkers who have young children. They loved this. Good ones I had doubles of I put on consignment, and ones we have not read and little chance of reading soon - re-gift

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009