Things are getting better right?

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You are joking, right? Check the news, forclosures are actually up in many regions. Unemployment claims went back up, and we will see more claims come January when the temporary holiday workers are let go.
    Anonymous

• Everywhere I go to shop the stores are packed with people ,carrying huge bags, buying stuff....I don't think we are in trouble anymore. :-) Homes are selling, people are being hired at some of the big companies here and ....what makes you so pessimistic and why do you WANT to be so pessimistic????
    Anonymous

• Wal-mart the economic leader let go of it's holiday help 2 weeks ago due to poor sales nationwide. Teacher layoffs will take effect in Jan in many states. Things are better but the media blitz is. As long as food pantry are shouting that they need more than we aren't doing better. As long as there are tent cities out west we aren't doing better. As long as people are living on unemployment checks we aren't doing better.
    Quit being an ostrich.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• http://www.bls.gov/web/laumstrk.htm
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• " Everywhere I go to shop the stores are packed with people ,carrying huge bags, buying stuff....I don't think we are in trouble anymore. :-) Homes are selling, people are being hired at some of the big companies here and ....what makes you so pessimistic and why do you WANT to be so pessimistic???? "

Just because people are buying all kinds of stuff doesn't mean the economy is getting better. People have a tendency to spend money they don't have on things they don't need. Don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case don't judge the economy by what you see people do while shopping.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 4:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Everywhere I go to shop the stores are packed with people ,carrying huge bags, buying stuff..
    Credit card companies lifted their freezes on credit limits too, what's your point?

..I don't think we are in trouble anymore. :-) Homes are selling,
    Foreclosed homes are selling for half their value

people are being hired at some of the big companies here
    Wherever "here" is, it is an anomaly because the rest of the country is still laying people off

and ....what makes you so pessimistic and why do you WANT to be so pessimistic????
    I would love to live with my head in the clouds and ride my unicorn around pretending everything is ok, but I'm a grown up who has to pay bills and be responsible.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• would love to live with my head in the clouds and ride my unicorn around pretending everything is ok, but I'm a grown up who has to pay bills and be responsible.

::aplause::
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Things are good for people who are employed, home is not in forclosure, putting a full meal on the table ...but... If you are having trouble finding employment, living paycheck to paycheck, home is in forclosure then things are not getting bettter for you.
    Don't let any politician tell you otherwise.
    theresaphilly

Answer by theresaphilly at 8:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• As I stood in line at Kohl's last night, I listened in on conversations (I was by myself), and SURE, people were buying....ESSENTIALS! I saw lots of clothes, few toys, and people talking to one another about how their children/grandchildren were getting only ONE thing this Christmas!

Kohl's also had a promo where shoppers got a $10 coupon for every $50 spent--so people were buying in order to get additional discounts--which I plan to use for "free" smaller gifts!

People are shopping, but shopping SMARTER overall!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Kohl's also had a promo where shoppers got a $10 coupon for every $50 spent-

If you're on their mailing list, they've also sent out $10 gift cards, no strings attached, twice this month. The only shopping I've done this year in real stores has been mostly free - Kohl's free gift cards and then another one Penney's sent out, same deal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2009