TTC & Progesterone ... Anyone ?

My husband & I have officially started to TTC. We have not been trying for very long at all. Two weeks in to trying I was brought into the ER because I thought I had a bladder infection, turned out I did not. The ER Dr. referred me to a OBGYN where I live who is well known, so I could get checked out since my periods are irregular. I know I should call, but I am hesitant to, and I don't know why... I need a push... the Dr. mentioned something about progesterone ... has anyone ever been put on them... HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Call. Taking progesterone, whether suppository or injection is not that big a deal. If it helps you maintain a healthy lining to support an implanting embryo then do it! Otherwise, you could be building your hopes each month when your body can't hold onto that embryo being created. I had to do progesterone in oil injections after IVF, by myself, and did it for several weeks until my twins made enough of their own. They celebrated their fourth birthday this week.

Fear of the unknown can be hard to push past, but when you do, and you get the information...no matter what it is...you can then take action based on it. Don't fly blind when you know there is some kind of fertility issue going on. See the specialist, get the info, move forward in your ttc journey.

Best wishes to you and your hubby!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• When you say irregular, what do you mean exactly? There are varying degrees of irregular.

I think he meant that you may need progesterone to induce a period if you aren't having them every month. But just because you take progesterone and have a withdrawal bleed doesn't mean it will induce ovulation also, thats why many women need progesterone in the form of Provera or Prometrium to have a period and then take a fertility med to induce ovulation.

If you have irregular periods, a referral, and you want to get pregnant then I would just go. A normal woman has a 20% chance of conception every month, it's much lower for those of us with irregular cycles. But, it's up to you and hubby how far you want to go!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I was regular 2 years ago , when I went on the patch and became allergic to it. Well I took it off and ever since then I have been irregular... I have a period every other month. I think why I don't want to go ... is I fear what they are going to tell me. I kind of wish my husband would go with me. I feel as though, this is something the two of us are embarking on so why not have him go. Especially because this Dr. is a male Dr, I have never been completely comfortable with male Dr.'s, but if I want children which I do , I have always wanted to be a mommy, this is something I have to do. The Dr. Also mentioned something about hormone tests... I am so new at this TTC thing... so many questions. Maybe I should just call the Dr. up and make an appointment.
    leahbnaiteacher

Answer by leahbnaiteacher at 2:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2009