im 17 my birthday is august 18th 1992 and my mom says she has custody of my baby because im not 18 yet can she have custody of him with out me signing papers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• NOOOOOOOO.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• No, your Mother can't have legal custody of your son unless you sign papers stating so. You are the child's legal guardian, as his Mother.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• no babe, she cannot, you are the legal guardian of any baby that you give birth too....

i was 16 when i had my daughter and the only thing my mom ever had o sign for was for me to be treated at the hospital since i was still under 18...

if you have any other questions...pm me
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• actually it depends on what state you live in, some states say that a teen mother is declared to be emancipated for the duration of the pregnancy so that she may make the decisions related to her body, once that teen mother delivers she and the baby are under the custody of the parent until the mother reaches age 18.

You need to check your state laws to find out if this is true for where you live or not.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Your mother needs a court order. YOU are the mother. YOU have custody because you and your baby are on the birth certificate. She would have to take you into family court and tell the judge how you are being irresponsible and then she gets custody. Nope your mom is full of nonsense, YOU are the mother, and the baby is in your custody.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Nice try Mom. No she does NOT. He is fully YOURS. She is still your legal guardian, but that has nothing to do with YOUR baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• once that teen mother delivers she and the baby are under the custody of the parent until the mother reaches age 18.

Not in any states I'm aware of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• She does NOT have custody of your child. You can claim Emancipated Minor in some cases which means you are an adult legally even if not 18 yet but you have to have a job and be able to provide for yourself. You can get on welfare and that will establish "income" in many cases. My dd was only 13 when she got pregnant and even at that young age SHE had custody of her son even though I had custody of her. She cannot take your child. She cannot do anything without your permission or unless the state finds a problem with you harming the child and takes custody away from you so just be a good mom and she can't get custody unless you give it to her

Answer by admckenzie at 12:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• tee hee... .and I thought this forum was for parents of teens. Not the teens themselves.
    Anonymous

• Your baby is yours and no one can take him away unlss you say so in writing.

Answer by older at 7:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009