My son is 27mths old and in the process of speech therapy, can anyone recommend toys that can help him with creativity, imagination, speech? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son also has a speech delay. he is 30 months old. first- i do not believe tv contributes to speech delay. my son never even watched tv until about 7 or 8 months ago. and was still 55% delayed six months ago when we started speech therapy. if anything, what he watches is repetitive and i think helps him. after his 6 month evaluation, brody is now at a 25% delay, which is great. when we started therapy, we were told brody would participate for a year, but because he has made so much progress, the cooridinator thinks he will not qualify after his 9 month evaluation. the best thing to do for a child with speech delay is read, read, and read some more. so, just buy books.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• why is he in speaech therapy?
    What helped my son was sign language I'd sign to him and say the word while signing. Don't know if that would help. Also if you son watches television I'd stop that all toghether until his speach is better.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OP here, we've just started the sign language and he does watch tv, but maybe an hr a day, he loves his Thomas the train and Handy Manny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OP again. he's in speech because of delayed speech
    Anonymous

• I would consider the tv away for a while and put songs on instead. TV can REALLY make them not or even stop talking if they were before.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I dont think that toys will help do anything... I think that one-on-one "discussion" time with him will help him speak better. Sing songs and tell him stories
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• fOP here,

i do the talking to him and the one on one thing, we're home all day. we sing, we dance. i just wanted to buy him some toys, he's outgrown the ones that he has and wanted to get him some new ones but i'd like to get him some that will stir his imagination and not just some mindless game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• then why did you mention speech therapy? TV will delay speach! You should have made yourself clear in your questions and responces before you decided to hate on people!
    The best toys for imagination are building toys like blocks. any toys that talk and have pictures or sing the alphabet should help with speach.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 12:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OP here, stummegirl, what do you mean, hate on people? i didnt say anything hateful, i'm quite appreciative of the advice. he's started speech therapy, i wanted to buy him new toys that can help w/speech, not just like playing cards or something. this is new to me, so i was asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OP here, brody'smama, congrats on brody's progress, that's what i'm hoping for for my son. I cant wait for him to get to that point. did Brody always let you read to him, Ryan will only sit with me for a minute or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2009