implantation cramping vs. menstural cramping

ok, so I have been ttc for 3 years and I have been convinced several times that I am pregnant and several times I have been wrong. I have pretty much given up at this point. I have PCOS and I have been on several different meds to help me ovulate but right now I am only taking metformin. I have had my period for the past two months but this month it failed to show up as it has done so many times before. I am pretty sure there is no way I can get pregnant without inseminations but my husband got curious after I started feeling sick and telling him that my food smelled funny. I didn't really consider the thought but he was persistant, then tonight I started feeling an odd sort of pain on my right side. It wasn't the same as my usual PMS cramping though just as painful. It was almost sharper? It is sort of hard to describe....so I guess my question is is there a difference between implantation cramping and menstural cramping?

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 12:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I know how badly you want to be pregnant. I had a hard time conceiving my 1st son, & was told I couldn't have any more, but when he was 7 yrs old I had my 2nd son, & 2 yrs later a 3rd. That's the good news. The truth though is that cramping pain isn't a good indication of whether you are pregnant or not. If the pain is in your side it's more likely to be ovulation pain or pinching. If you were pregnant, pain in your side isn't a good sign. I had an ectopic pregnancy, & because the baby implants in your tube when the embryo grows it causes pain, then rupturing. If you really think you are pregnant, take a home test, & see your doctor immediately. Also, my best friend from high school thought she couldn't get pregnant because of PCOS, & had her 1st child at age 40 with no fertility treatments.

My best advice, which is hard to take, is relax, try not to look for signs, enjoy your husband & life. My heart is with you Best wishes.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I know how it feels...when dh were trying to get pregnant with our dd it seemed as if every month I was pregnant...finally after we stopped trying and started enjoying each other again and our lives,we got pregnant..I would take a test if you skip your period or better yet make an appointment with your doctor to see why you are having side pains.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• The main thing you should keep in mind, is that if it was implantation cramping then there is no way right now you would have pregnancy signs. If the implantation is just happening that means that your hormones havent started changing yet, which means you wouldnt have signs. It could be many things. It could be ovulation pains, it could be regular cramps. Im sorry you have to go through all of this. I wish you the best of luck.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• it couldn't be ovulation considering my period was due two weeks ago.....relaxing isn't going to solve my problem and I am so tired of hearing that....all I asked is what is the difference between implantation cramping and period cramping...not life advice!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 11:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Honestly, I don't know, but I can tell my experience with cramping. I started cramping around the time of my period so I assumed that my period was about to come. After a day or two later and still no period, I decided to take a pregnancy test and it came back positive. I just want to add that I realize you want a child very badly, but that is no reason to snap at people you are trying to help you. Remember, you are the one that came here and asked the question and gave us the background info.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 26, 2009