autism question

My 2 and 1/2 year old son is going to be going in for a autism evaluations with the regional center autism doctors on december 29th. I was wondering what they exactually do? they just explained that they will test him for about 1 1/2 hours and then question us fr a bout 1 1/2 hours and then the doctors will meet and discuss what they think. we are going in because my son has been a very aggresive kids and seems to really have problem when you get more then about 7 kids in the smae room as him. he is a child that will throw toys at a kid, squeeze them really hard. hit them, kick them, tackle them, ect. He is about 45 to 50 percent behind in his language. any help you can give me will be great. please tell me what they do in the test and give me any feed back that you can. thank you

magnane

Asked by magnane at 2:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• At this age they will mostly observe him and try to interact with him, then discuss with you his habits and what you have observed about his interactions with yourselves and others. it is pretty basic but there is a list of things they are looking for in how he acts.

With my son at that age they just got down on the floor and tried to play with him and talk to him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• a very aggresive kids and seems to really have problem when you get more then about 7 kids in the smae room as him

This sounds like a sensory issue, typically they will test for it but go ahead and mention testing for sensory disorder just in case. Many children with autism have sensroy issues (sounds, light, touch, temperature, smells).
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• could they give you any answers on what they thought was going on? what types of things do they look for off there list?
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 2:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• he already was dignost with sensory integragation disfunction about 5 months ago.. do you think it could just be that or maybe autism also. thank you
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 2:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son has Aspergers so he is high funtioning but at 2 y/o they did a complete autism test and again when he was 9, they look for eye contact, language, physical behavior, speech patterns, interacting with new people, how they socially interact, they watch for repetative motions, obessions with objects or subjects. Its a pretty long list.

for example most 2 y/o's will say hi to people or respond when someone says hi to them, my son would sing the theme to bob the builder or ignore them completely. he was obsessed with trains and patterns.

They will ask you how he acts with other children, other adults, how he deals with new situations, and also explore if he likes routine, they will want a general developmental history of your child.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• When my son got a dx they gave me a list of 15+ disorders, all of which were tied into the autism but also he could have had on their own, the only disorder that wasnt directly linked to autism was PTSD and that came from a house fire we had and he and i both have it.

It is very possible to have only the sensory disorder without the autism, but if the doctors are asking for the test then they see something other than sensory that is causing an issue and probably want to run the test to narrow down the issues he is having.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• 3 ring circus~ what do you mean by language "like can he talk", and speech pattern? I know my son loves balls, blankets and mickey. if there are any of these near by and he wants them or had them before and put them down he will attack the kid and either sqeeze them really hard or hit them
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 2:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• they look for both non verbal as well as advanced speech, they also look at how they speak to people as in can they have a conversation where they speak then listen and respond to the other person or is it all one sided where they never notice that they are taking over the conversation. Does the conversation og on and on about mickey mouse? even whent he other person has given the child ques that they are not interested or want to change the subject and does the child respond to the que to change subject. part of it is tied into the social skills as well.

they look for appropriate language for the age, is the child using the number of words in the right context or are they ahead or behind.

I was able to have full conversations with my son when he was 2, but they had to be about the subject he was most interested in otherwise he didnt acknowledge me lol, it was frustrating.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• 3 ring circus~
    well the reson he is getting tested is because during his 6 month recheck i asked if they think that my son might have some type of autism or slight autism going on. there answer was somethings he does we can say yes to but there are other things he does no. they said it never hurts to get tested if anything you get more help from it if something does come back and that is why we are doing the test.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 2:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If after the test is done they come back and say he isnt, but you continue to see signs then have him retested in a year or even two. Our first test I said I knew it was Aspergers and everyone agreed then they tested and said well he does have many signs but we need to test his IQ and he isnt old enough so i put him a early childhood program, then he entered school and the anxiety and sensory became very obvious at 2nd grade and i pushed for more testing and didnt get it till 4th grade when i hired a outside doctor to get a dx and then he went to the school with me to get the preper benefits.

I now have a IEP in place, therapy and his IQ was tested 2 years ago and it was just shy of 140. Follow your gut but also keep in mind if he is high functioning it can be a rough road so just keep at it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2009