Autism test question and help

My 2 and 1/2 year old son is going to be going in for a autism evaluations with the regional center autism doctors on december 29th. I was wondering what they exactually do? they just explained that they will test him for about 1 1/2 hours and then question us fr a bout 1 1/2 hours and then the doctors will meet and discuss what they think. we are going in because my son has been a very aggresive kids and seems to really have problem when you get more then about 7 kids in the smae room as him. he is a child that will throw toys at a kid, squeeze them really hard. hit them, kick them, tackle them, ect. He is about 45 to 50 percent behind in his language. any help you can give me will be great. please tell me what they do in the test and give me any feed back that you can. thank you

magnane

Asked by magnane at 2:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have no idea what Austinsmom187 was saying to you, but I can tell you this from what I remember when my son was diagnosed many years ago (he's 14 now) ~ I had to fill out behavior forms for the doctor prior to our appointment, as did his school. Those forms combined with direct observance of my son's behaviors by the doctor are what the doctor used to determine what he suspected might be going on with my son, which was that he was autistic. The additional evaluations were to confirm the diagnosis of autism & provide information for developing a plan of treatment to target specific areas of development. The evaluations that we had were for occupational therapy (fine motor & sensory issues), physical therapy (gross motor issues), speech & language (communication & learning issues) and psychoeducational (learning disabilities & behavioral/emotional issues). cont....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• they see if your child needs it
    then they will give u a diagnostic impression
    my 2 yr and 3 month baby boy got diagnose with austic a week ago
    they sent me records
    and now he qualilives for social security assistants
    i help alot with money situations and ext
    austinsmom187

Answer by austinsmom187 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Austinsmom187~ what do you mean by they give you a diagnostic impession? do they tell you what it could be going on if not autism?
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 2:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Hearing tests are also common to be done b/c many children with even mild hearing loss can look autistic. The main goal of the evaluations is to show where your child is developmentally compared to other children the same age/sex. If your child shows a 25% delay or more in any area of development, therapy will most likely be recommended to address that need. You may or may not get a final diagnosis with this first visit - it will all depend on the doctor.

You could also call and speak with the doctor's secretary or assistant & ask what to expect at your visit. Many parents do and staff are usually happy to answer your questions so that you can be well prepared for the visit.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Quit forcing a diagnosis on a kid. He's 2 1/2. Some kids don't talk AT ALL till 4. Dosen't mean something is wrong with them.

Too many moms now a days are too quick to push the autisim thing. Just wait. I bet if you just ride it out you and your child will be happier in the long run.

Medicine doesn't fix everything. Sometimes it causes a lot of problems.

Just think this through before you do it. Don't lable your child for life. Some people are just different. The would would be a worse place if we were all "normal"

Take pride in your son who is different. Don't try to medicate him into a "normal" child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• ask for a FOod Panel RAST test for IgG to rule out any food sensitivities. These can cause behavioral & learning problems. This test saved my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• mom2aspclboy~
    My mom has actually already seen the reginal cetner because he is 45 percent behind in speech and ot area. We have been having speech theraphy and ot for 6 months know and we also just stated him in a structures preschool twice a week for 3 hours a day.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 6:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• That's great that you've got him in therapies already! The mantra for children with an ASD is "engage, engage, engage"....Keep them in this world and they won't have time to visit their own world. Since you've already got him in therapies & had other evals done, more than likely the upcoming visit w/the regional autism docs is for a final "look-see" to try to nail down a diagnosis. Don't stress yourself w/worry about the upcoming appt. b/c, whatever the outcome, your son will still be the same boy you love & nothing can change that.

Ignore the Anon:00, because giving a kid a diagnosis doesn't automatically equal giving medication and, especially w/autism, the earlier you get a diagnosis & treatment started, the better the outcome for the child.

I would also like to mention that I agree w/motherofhope98 - food sensitivities can be a huge contributer to behaviors & kids with an ASD often have multiple food sensitivities.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Mom2aspclboy~
    thank you for the answers. i am trying not to stress and worry I am just hoping to walk out of the place with a answer. I will try to get a answer to you when i do it.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 1:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009