Honestly.......what do you think of this?

I was walking out of this convenience store the other evening with my child and as my son got into the back seat and buckled up ( he is 5 years in age), I closed the van door and walked around and got in.

To my left a woman in a small 4 door car pulled up, got out and left her car running.

Here is my issue with this scenario:

She left the car running.

She had a 3 year old in the front seat and no seat belt on her.

NO one in the back seat.

**And there were a few men out front, and one whom always begs for your change.

I sat there and was shocked that with all the kidnappings that go on/car jackings here that take place, that a parent would leave her 3 yr old in the car, and was IN the front seat!

I was so shocked to see a mother leave a car running, 3 yr old in the car to go in a store, minutes later walk out.....with cigarettes and a bag of chips!

Ever see this where yo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• around here I always see people with their kids out of their carseat...it makes me upset as well...my dad and brother are both firemen and they have been on atleast 3 differnt runs where a child was killed for not being in their carseat...a few months ago a woman my mom knew got into a wreck...her son wasnt fastend in and was thrown from the car...the woman had to see her 4 year old son die in the road...

As for leaving her kid in the car...that is horrible too... I would have been tempted to call the cops !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• idk...parents did that with us in the 80s and we were cool. Then again this is a different era.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Nobody, and I mean nobody rides in my vehicle without being restrained, whether that means a carseat or seatbelt. Now I have left my car running with my kids in it. I lock it and have an extra key for those situations. It gets cold here (it was -45 with the windchill last week) and if they can wait in the warm car rather than coming out in the cold, I'll do it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I can understand that canadianmom. But here it was in the 70's and her child when she pulled into the parking spot was IN the front seat already.

Now she didn't lock her car doors, the windows were down. I was just so surprised cause people meander around.

One woman here in town whom had gotten off of work one night was at this one stop light, notorious for being slow to change from RED during the day and night was stopped. A man walked up to her car and held a gun up to her, her window was down and door unlocked..... had her drive to behind a business and raped her, beat her and left her for dead. Never caught him.

Sure it can happen at ANY intersection........but to leave a child under the age of 5 in the car alone, doors,windows open and NO other older child in the backseat??? I don't get it.

Sad that in today's times we can't trust everyone.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately yes. But unfortunately for them I am a mandated reporter and a social worker who is licensed in my state. If I see an unsafe situation then I am obligated by law to report it. I just discreetly get a tag number and call it in. I don't put myself in danger and try and follow or track anyone down. If I can manage it then I do and if not then I am not responsible for any accidents either. I make a reasonable effort. Which means hopefully a police officer can stop the car and give a ticket, lecture, or whatever.  I don't go looking for these things but when they happen I do have a duty to make officials aware of a possible situation.  It is better than having them respond to a car accident with a dead child.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2009