Clingy baby

Shes 6 and a half months. I need to get things done around the house, I'm also a college student and I will soon need to find a part time job. When will this stop or what should I do to help her feel more comfortable playing in her pack and play or swinging in her chair. Sometimes I get lucky enough to have a potty break.

How do I move things along in this area?
Am I really supposed to let her cry and cry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the Spirited/High Need Babies group. I think it will help you out a lot.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You don't move things along. Nothing you do will have an effect... except leaving her to cry might just make it worse. Get a good carrier (wrap,sling, ergo, etc...) and wear her while you do chores. As for school... I think you've got some late nights ahead of you!

She'll outgrow this when she's good and ready... and then it will start over a few months later.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You don't move things along by letting her cry. The best way to "move things along" is to meet her needs. Hold her as much as she wants to be held. Babies who are held a lot and get their needs met, are not left alone to cry, in the first 6 months cry less in the second 6 months. A lot of this is simply personality, and where she is developmentally and there is nothing you can do to change it.
    Babies need their mommies 24/7, there is just no way getting around that! Very few of them will sit and play nicely in their pack and play, or sit happily in a swing for any length of time. Get a good sling so that you can "wear" her while you get things done. Babies tend to be even more clingy between about 8-10 months.
    Check out "Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs?" at http://kellymom.com/parenting/velcrochild.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2009