he just wont sleep..

My son is 18 mons old, and for about 2 weeks he hasnt slept right. He will stay up all day, and not go to sleep until 5-6 in the morning, then wake up a few hours later. This is an everyday thing. And it is really killing me. I figured since his dad had off the weekend, he would give me a break or at least help out. But nope, im up alone with him. Gosh, i am so tired! What can I do? Can I take him to the doctor for this? I just dont want to take him in there and look crazy if they tell me they cant handle that problem, or something.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ask the dr to prescribe him "Clonidine" thats an awesome sleeping pill for kids, my 4 yr old takes it and he falls asleep within an hour, and he'll sleep all night, but without that pill he'll be up till 7 in the morning!!!
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 6:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• That's really weird. I've never heard of a toddler staying up all day and all night and only sleeping for 2 hours...Do you even try to put him to bed? Or do you just expect him to put himself to sleep?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• yes, i try putting him to bed. He was on a schedule. Ive rocked him to sleep since he was born, and I'd put him to bed around 9-10 each night. He'd wake up around 6-7, and take a nap around noon. he just stopped wanting to go to sleep, one day he was sick, I thought it might have been because he was sick, but when he started feeling better, he still wouldnt. I tried just letting him fall asleep, but it doesnt work.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Try putting him to bed around 7:30-8:00 pm instead of 9 or 10. When you lay him down and tuck him in, just matter-of-factly say,It is your bedtime, you need to go to sleep, I love you very much, goodnight. And walk out and close the door. If he starts crying, I would just let him. Don't let it go on for too long though. Go in a few times if you have to and repeat the same thing, It is your bedtime, you need to go to sleep, I love you very much, goodnight. But you have to try and remain calm, if he sees you getting frazzled, it will only make the situation worse. I guarantee if you stay consistent with this, it will work. Good luck!
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 3:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• try laying down with him and rocing him. i have to do this with my 18month old.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2009