I have a 2 and 3 year old who share a room. Help on sleeping.

Some nights they are so wound up they just play and not try to sleep. How do I help remind them that it is time to sleep. Doesn't happen often but when it does it is so irritating. Like tonight. Most nights the younger one goes to sleep first giving the older one time with us then he goes down after the little brother is asleep. Hard when they are just so busy and just want to play. I don't want to seperate them again after their supposed to be in bed. You know it would be like a little reward for playing. Hummm. Thanks

aktracyann2

Asked by aktracyann2 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do they play in the dark? Are they getting out of bed? My boys are 2 and 3. As long as they stay in their own beds, I let them chatter/play as long as they want. They don't have toys in their beds, so it usually doesn't last long. If it goes on too long, I sometimes go in and turn off the night light so it is dark. I really don't know! I would just say no toys, they have to stay in their bed, and maybe no night light. And if that is how their room is, I have no suggestions!! Sorry!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• We had a ds and dd 3yrs apart that slept in the same room until they were 7 & 4. Typically we'd cuddle and read before going to bed so they were "mellow" before hand, as they got older I'd often let them have books in bed & set a timer, other times dad would come in and lay down the final word. "bedtime" go to sleep, no more talking... Love them up as they grow entirely tooooo fast and are out of the house before you know it!
    Imma...

Answer by Imma... at 5:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i always put my youngest to bed a half hour b4 my older son so i dont have that problem...they started sharing a room when my oldest was 3 and his brother was 2. They are now 3 and 4 so its getting easier to make them listen on the nights i do put them to bed at the same time, but i usually dont put them to be together. Soon, when the new baby is born we will have 3 boys in one room...now that will be interesting. They will be 5, 3 and 23 months then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Anon! We now have three boys in the room too. Thankfully the older 2 sleep through each other, so the newborn doesn't bother them. Ours are 4 (tomorrow), 2, and 3 weeks. The older boys were SO excited to have "Baby" in their room.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I had that issue. Some nights when they were too wound up I would have to sep. them and send one to sleep in my room until they were all asleep and then I'd put them back. It was not nec. a reward b/c I would not treat it as such but a warning etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009