Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to say/ do?

Currently a friend of mine is staying at my house, earlier today when her one year old daughter was playing with her father, her little girl grabbed daddys face, and HE BIT HER, not like an accidental nip where you apologize, perhaps feel guilty and give the kid a cookie, i am talking a hard bite, where you can still see teeth mark and her fingers were really swollen. When she reacted and yelled at him, he slapped her sending her to the ground.

Her and both her kids are here, I just dont really know how to help, I have never had anything like that happen to me, and I wish i could help her more. What should I say, is there anything else I can do other then offering them a place to stay until she figures out what they are going to do? I really feel helpless right now, i have a newborn here so I dont know how long I can keep my home open to them. what would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • call the police and also find domestic violence help centers they have a lot of resourses..

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • 638 am anon is right. You witnessed domestic violence to a baby. By calling the police now you will never in hindsight have to say "If only I called the police back then?. Make the call now and don't even tell your friend cause she'll do everything she can to stop you cause she's afraid. The more people who know the better. Personally I don't believe restraining orders work to help any abused partner but at least more people know when a police report is made.

    Put vaseline, after police leave, on your outside door handles it'll help make it hard or near impossible for the guy to open the door. Also a lot of hardware store and Bed And Bath, maybe pharmacy stores sell very easy on window alarms. My son used to put on doors too.

    Be as safe now instead of wishing to have tried to be safe later.

    Answer by lfl at 7:56 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I'd call the police right now. There are so many horror stories of parents abusing their kids and starting out with biting and hitting and so many people who wittness it and do nothing. I'm sure you don't want you or that child to have to see what that monster is capable of. Please call, for the childs sake!

    Answer by Shyma at 9:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • Did you witness it? Or did she come to you house because it happened? If she came because it happened then she needs to be the one to call since you didn't see it. Obviously, she knows he shouldn't of done it and is scared, that is why she came to your house. Be a good friend and offer her a place a long as you can. If she is willing, help her find a shelter or such to go to. It is very good of you to open your house to your friend.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I would definitely call the police and cps. If they see the bite marks (or maybe you can take a pic) they can arrest his stupid butt. She can go to a shelter but anyone who bites and hits a child like that in front of people goodness knows what he does in private

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • i would tell her SHE and the kids are welcome to stay but he has to go! did she see this? (i was alittle confused as to weather it was mom that got slapped or child) i also would have called the cops if she is going to allow this to happen she is not protecting her children and dhs needs to be notified, this is how kids end up dead! sometimes you have to be the best friend in the world and do something that may ruin your friendship, turning a blind eye doesnt help anyone and as an adult if she chooses to stay thats her bussiness the child cant make the choice at all

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I would bring it up first and let them know that is abuse and if it happens again you're turning them in.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.