How do I start this adoption process?

Okay, I just want opinions of if anyone had to do something similar to this and what the outcome was. Here it goes... my daughter was born out of wedlock in 2006 while I was stationed in Hawaii. The father was deployed at the time and is not listed as her father on the birth certificate but did give consent. However, she does have his last name. He has seen her once in 3 1/2 years and has given me money off and on as well. When she was 3 months old, I met my husband and he is who she knows as Daddy. My husband loves her as his own and wants to adopt her. We are unsure of where to begin on this process. My state of residence is Maryland, my daughter's father is California, and she was born in Hawaii. I am unsure of which state laws I would look up the step-parent adoption laws in. My husband is in the Army and I plan to go and talk to JAG after the holidays. I am just curious if anyone has anything similar to this :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Adoption

• My only advice is to go to JAG, good luck!
    Anonymous

• Ditto, go to JAG. Your situation is way too complicated sounding to me, but it may be a simple process. (I hope!) Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• What ever state she has lived in for the past 6 month is the child's residence and that is the state law that applies. We just went thru this with our grandchildren. If bd is willing to sign off it should be fairly simple for the adoption. You will need a lawyer who can walk you thru everything.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• baconbits hit it on the nose, thats what I was just about to say too. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the input ladies! It is appreciated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2010