HELP...3 1/2 year old son still has his binky!!!!!

Okay,I know that its is my fault that my son has his binky still funny thing is when I was preggy with him I swore I would never allow this and laughed when I saw a child that was about his age now that had one and/or talked with one in..lol..but ther I am now trying to get my son to get rid of his..I just want to do it withoutb hurting him. First it was like okay he's just not ready yet,he'll get rid of it on his own,okay we are moving let not take it now,then it was Oh a new baby let not take it now,& now it okay hubby is going to be leaving for the Air Force and this may bbe the wrong time to take his binky.
I have tried but now he just takes his brothers who is six month,I have tried, even tried trading,rewards, cold turkey,yucky stuff,cutting the tops of..lol..nothing works help me please I feel like he's going to have it forever..he doesn't go to daycare and I homeschool so influence won't work either

KyandRysmommy

Asked by KyandRysmommy at 7:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How "dependent" is the baby on his binky? With my two boys the older one HAD to have his, but my younger one didn't care, so one day, we just couldn't find binkies anywhere in the house (wink, wink)! We searched everywhere, but with no such luck.

I then offered a bunch of "acceptable" replacements--beanie babies, small board books, and a small section from a favorite snuggle blanket (that I wanted to get rid of, but cut off a portion--making it more acceptable to carry around as my older one got bigger, and he eventually outgrew!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Don't freakout when you have a major dentist bill from your son sucking this binky. Try gift wrapping his binky to give to Santa. Make it fun for him to get rid of his binky. Then when he starts looking for it, tell him Santa just loved his gift. I wish you luck!
    Now this is how I broke my son on the bottle with the Easter Bunny when he was almost two yrs. old. He helped me wrap his bottles every single one of them in a box. We left the box and now the Easter Bunny has his bottles. Yes, the first few night's were hard , but he is over this hump. ~Robin
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• What i did was talk to someone i knew at our local store. So one day me and my daughter who was 3! went to the store with her bag of binkis to the cashier could hand them out to babies that need them. she was fine she never wanted them again. but after that we went to the store and got her a present
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Since you still have binkies in the house for your younger one you will need to convince him that he doesn't want them anymore. Maybe he could get a big boy reward for every binky free day.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I saw this on Super Nanny and maybe you could give it a try. She explained to the little girl all about the Binky Fairy, who took the Binkies from the big boys and girls to give to the little boys and girls and babies. She had the little girl gather up all her binkies and put them in the "Fairy Binky sack", and they hung it out in the tree in the backyard. I'm sure you could put it somewhere else if you wanted too. She then said that the Binky Fairy would take the binkies overnight, but would leave a small gift for the little girl for giving up her binkies. Kind of like the Tooth Fairy. I thought it was kind of neat, and it actually worked. Good luck!
    scarlett0720

Answer by scarlett0720 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You are hendering his speach! Throw that thing away now! He will boo hoo for a while, and he will get over it! Be strong momma!! Do it now!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Throw it away. He'll fuss for a few days, but he'll get over it. You are ruining his speech by letting him have that thing at age 3 and a half. Whenever he tries to take his baby brother's binky, you tell him "NO!!" in a firm voice. You tell him that he's a big boy and big boys don't need binkies, only babies use them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son only had one til he was 8-9 months old.

My friend let her son have his binky too til he was just over 3 years of age, he has trouble with alot of words to this day. But he has a sight LISP in his speech and it makes it worse!

One day I was baby sitting and I told her, "Look...this is not helping him at all. He did not start talking til he was almost 2, though he sings...which is good, but he needs to TALK!" Back then he was just not social...now he is a clown!

Auntie here took his bink-binks up as he called them and I said,"Aww now, you are a big boy and we can't play cause it is in the way. Let's leave it here and if the BINKY Fairy thinks you are a big boy now...she will leave YOU a cool present!!"

Well, I had him get something from the other room, got my gift out and WAH-LAH! Went to him& we came back in the living room and he loved it!! It WORKED! His word was,"Awe THUMB!" Which was how he said it!
    Anonymous

• It is very challenging when they are older. My daughter only used it at night to fall asleep- once she turned 3 years old. It might help the transition, if he knows he will still have it that day. It was hard to have her get rid of it. It would take her forever to fall asleep when we took it away. Now my other dauthter who is 4 year old, sucks her thumb (which I think is more challenging, because I can't take it away) The dentist said it is o.k. as long as she stops before her new teeth come in. (Hopefull I can stop her by then :)
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Okay,okay..Success at last I tried all of the above trust me it all failed...so with no new ideas here is what I did..lol tell me what you think to mean? (It worked) When I told him no binky and he didn't listen I just cut off the top of one and told him that we had NO more Binkys when he asked for a new one and then told him that he could have his blanky if he wanted but that if I found him with a binky again i would cut up the blanky and it would go in the trash like the binky and I haven't had a problem since...and his little brother still has his but Christmas will be it for him two he is 6mths.
    KyandRysmommy

Answer by KyandRysmommy at 4:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2009