What would you have done?

Yesterday I was driving home from taking my very sick 5 month old to the dr's. I also had my 3 year old with me. It was pouring down rain (I mean buckets). I needed to get Benadryl for my 5 mo old at CVS. 5 mo old was sleeping soundly for the first time in 3 days. Rather than take them both out of the car in the rain and into CVS with me. I told my 3 year to sit still and not move, locked the doors and ran into CVS grabbed the Benadryl , told the girl to ring me up as fast as possible and ran back out to the car. This is first time (and probably the only time) I have ever left my kids in the car without an adult

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope I don't leave my kids in the car alone.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I think I would have left them as well
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would have had to figure something else out, I could never leave my kids alone in the car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I can understand why you did it, but I'm not sure I would have done it. I wouldn't say anything bad about you, if that's what you're afraid of. You had to make a choice, and you went with what you thought was best. Would it have been possible for you to just take the kids home, and have your hubby go back out to get the benadryl? That would have been what I would have tried for, to have someone else go get it so I wouldn't have to worry about the kids.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Sometimes if you go to the drive thru window they will get stuff like that for you. Either way I would not have left my children in the car unless there was another adult with them. It all depends on where you live though. If I lived in the country where everyone knew my by my first name at the store then I might consider it but I don't.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have left them. I would have either taken them out in the rain, even though it would have been unpleasant or gone home and had the drugstore deliver the Benadryl. Most drugstores have delivery services now, and they'll deliver your pharmacy meds and even some OTC meds and other things to your house. When mine were little like that, I used the delivery service a couple of times when the weather was bad so that I didn't have to take them out, especially if they were already sick and my husband was out of town.Either that, or I got my neighbor to come over and stay with them for a couple of minutes while I ran to the drugstore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I sorry to say that it only takes one time... So I think u were wrong....
    froggymommaof3

Answer by froggymommaof3 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I once left my three year old son and infant daughter alone in my car at a camera kiosk that was in the middle of a shopping center. I was three feet away from them, windows were open. They could see me. My son still remembers as an adult how scared he was then and that I didn't go back for a bit. The kiosk camera building was a tiny building was in a heavy travelled parking lot. Even though he could see me was very very afraid.

i never left them alone again and I never left them alone to get meds or bank or any other store before then or after then.

Just don't do it again. For you they were out of sight. You don't know how long someone else's transactons are going to be in a store after you finish going through aisle. And usually in a pharmacy store the pharmacy is at the back of the store!!

In my case I was right next to my car but my son was afraid without me being in the car itself even tho he saw me intiny store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Nope I wouldn't have left them. My five month old would be in an infant seat (which I assume yours is at well), I would have grabbed the carseat and told the three year old to run to the door/sidewalk with me. It does only take one time, I would never leave my kids alone in the car. I have put sleeping two year olds in the back of a cart for a quick run in before leaving them alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I probably would have left them in the car as well. But my question to all of the moms that say they would never leave their children in the car.......you've never put your kids in the car and ran back in the house for something? You always get them outta the carseats and lug them back in the house for say, your coupon book, that you forgot? Or "Crap! I don't have little Johnny's sippy cup! Gotta all go back in the house, kids!" Chances are, you do leave your children in the car while you run back in the house because you think, hey, they're in the driveway, no big deal. So, before you all cast stones, think about the question, and next time...answer honestly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2009