would you be angry?

Ok so my MIL came to our thanksgiving really late with my SIL. I told them no beer what so ever cause mil is a drunk i just do not want it in my house. So when they came in for thanksgiving MIL and SIL both came in drinking ( my SIL is only 19 also) and my SIL went up to all the kids all 5 and under and said do you want a drink of my baba. They didn't even eat cause they said they already went out to eat?! And they left about half hour later cause they said they had things to do (which ment they had to go to the bar)

So now when i flipped out after they left DH talked to them and told them off cause we told them no beer and they were completely rude. Well now they are not speaking to us because they want US to apoligize and they are not coming to christmas if they cannot have a beer.

would you be mad or would you apoligize

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• No it was your house so it it your rules that should be followed. I would be mad. There was no reason for that and for what your sil asked the kids. They both apparently have drinking issues and should get help. Maybe if you report your MIL for letting your SIL drink then they would both get the help they needed. I would talk that over with your DH.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Don't apologize. Don't be in contact with them until another gathering is possible. Then have it at someone else's house or gather in any restaurant of any degree of price for whatever the occasion is. That way YOU can leave mil and sil behind when you want leave, you're not stuck in your own home with mil and sil.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't apologize and I would tell my under-age SIL, next time she comes to my house, drinking and with beer, I will call the police on her!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• No I would not apologize. I never allowed beer in my house and if someone came in already drinking I showed them the door. They knew the rules. They disrespected you; however, they sound like alcoholics so stop inviting them. They obviously can't respect your life style.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Pardon my french but fuck that! You have NOTHING to apologize for! They sound like a couple of total jackasses...it's too bad the 19 year old is going to end up a drunk like her mother. That woman should be ashamed. I don't allow drunk people around my kids because they are dangerous (no fault of yours there don't get me wrong...how could you have known they were going to do that). For them to show up pissed at your house was downright ignorant. You're better off without them talkin to ya IMO.

Ugh...family...SO FRUSTRATING! My BIL is a drunk and I cut ties with them after my sister refused to admit he had a problem and lets him drink around her kids (well around anyone's kids actually).
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i wouldnt be mad, but i wouldnt apologize either, When some one has an addiction weather it be alcohol or drugs, that addiction takes over their lives and they no longer have control of their actions, you cant be mad at them for that, you can be upset and worried about them, even more so if grandma wont see her grandkids on xmas because she can't be drunk when she does then she has a major problem. I def think you are right to put a stop to it in your home. The best you can do is hope and pray that she will find her way and see what she is doing to her family and her daughter if at 19 she already has a drinking problem good luck and stand your ground dont allow this behavior in your home
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• No, do not apologize. They disrespected your rule and did it anyway. Then ontop of that asked children if they wanted a sip from their beer. That is unacceptable behaviour on all accounts. You have ever right to be angry with them. They're being selfish and petty. Don't let them get away with it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Stand your ground, and dont expose your children to ignorance. No way hose' in my house! We drink, but we would never act like that and say those things.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Your house, your rules... If you do not want beer around your children, then they should respect that. I don't blame you. I would do the same.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Do not apologize whatsoever, if they cannot respect your home wishes, then they can stay gone
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 4:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2009