Mothers with Austistic children; what are your feelings about the link between vaccines and autism, do you believe the two are related, or that that is a myth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a cousin with autism and he is now 10. As well as I have worked with some children living with autism. I have also known of a one parent who does not believe in vaccinating...she did get them and her child still had autism. No, I do not believe vaccines cause autism. I do believe we are seeing more cases due to environmental issues. There are so many more toxins in our food, our home, our toys...our genes are being changed and harmed. Breast tissues of breastfeeding mothers have been found to contain harmful toxic plastics that are being passed on to the child. Yet if we formula feed the containers themselves transfer harmful toxins to the child. No matter what we seem to do our children are exposed to so many harmful contaminants. Even the rugs in our houses shed cancerous micro debris in the dust it kicks up. I believe in advocating for healthier green living and a better environment.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I believe that there are different reasons for autism. My son was born with it. He had lots of signs from birth.

I think maybe there is some truth to the vaccine thing., diet and just environmental. I always think it's being over diagnosed just like ADD. It's the first thing a lot of professionals go to.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Breast tissues of breastfeeding mothers have been found to contain harmful toxic plastics that are being passed on to the child. Yet if we formula feed the containers themselves transfer harmful toxins to the child. No matter what we seem to do our children are exposed to so many harmful contaminants.

This comment is correct but I don't want anyone misled. The most harmful effects of toxins are from exposure in the womb, not breastfeeding. Breastfeeding can counteract any adverse developmental effects caused in the womb, despite current PCB levels in breastmilk. That's because breastmilk contains antioxidants, which seem to compensate for the toxic effects of the environment. Breastmilk also helps babies develop stronger immune systems. .....Sorry for going off topic. I do not believe there is any link, I think its caused by genetics. I think there are more case due to better diagnostics.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I believe it is a combination of genetics and the administration of so many vaccines in a short period of time.It can overwhelm their delicate immune systems.My son started showing symptoms after 6 months of age,and by then he had recieved about 8 vaccines already!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• As someone who works with autisitic children I think rather than debate the cause we should be spending the majority of our time and efforts in finding better ways to teach these children. I'm not saying abandon the search for a cause but scale it way back. And put most of the focus on teaching these kids and supporting their parents.
    Anonymous

• I think autism is something that has been around. 30 years ago then didnt label children has fast and 40 years ago you were just considered retarded. Now they are actually putting names with these diagnosis and it makes it seems like its something we are doing now thats causing. I dont think its the vaccines. My daughter has had every vaccine and she doesnt have it neither does anyone in my family. I think it may be something genetic.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009