Why the obsession?

There are a few ladies here who are obsessed with Kevin Jennings appointed for safety in our schools. The media has smeared this man to no end alleging things that no proof, and smearing his reputation to no end. All of these allegations aimed to put fear upon parents who don't realize they are being railroaded into beleiving what they want you to, by they I refer to those who oppose him simply because the man is a gay activist.

I admit that there is somewhat of an obsession in my part with the gay discrimination, etc, but my cause is a nobel one, my plight is to help them be treated equally, to help parents of gays understand the situation, and help gay youth come to terms with reality. It is not an obsession to harm or hurt anyone in the process.

I trust our school system and its leaders to do the right thing by our kids, and none of these inflamatory remarks about this new appointee. cont....

Asked by older at 10:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 68 (2,216,408 Credits)
  • Good post Older. There are too many fearful, prejudiced people posting here at CM. It seems to me that they are isolated and are acquainted with only white,straight Christians and would faint if they spent time with a Gay or a black or hispanic or an atheist. LOL. My cousin is a respected attorney in southern California...he is gay. My daughter dated a very nice,intelligent attractive guy in high school who is a friend to our whole family...and he came out when he went away to college. ANd, the "race issues" come up at CM constantly. My son's best friend since high school is african american and he married a beautiful blond caucasian lady and they have two gorgeous kids. He was a National Merit Scholarship finalits and graduated Law School at the top of his class. Okay, that takes care of two REAL LIFE issues that we all can appreciate. Except, so many Moms here don't get it.They are afraid..too sad.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I admit that there is somewhat of an obsession in my part with the gay discrimination, etc, but my cause is a nobel one

So just because you feel your cause is noble and theirs is not, that makes your obsession ok and theirs is bad?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I trust our school system and its leaders to do the right thing by our kids, and none of these inflamatory remarks about this new appointee have been proven. The history of the gay lifestyle is one that should be taught in order to understand, by young and old alike, regardless of your religious views. Education is a wonderful thing it breaks barriers. It will help those who oppose without any valid argument other than the Bible to see the humans behind the saga.

Answer by older at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I have so much respect for you Older.  Your daughter is very blessed to have such a wonderful mother.

trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Anon, others feel I am obsessed, I really don't there is more to my life than the gay cause.

Answer by older at 10:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Thank you trippy! that means a lot to me!

Answer by older at 10:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• So just because you feel your cause is noble and theirs is not, that makes your obsession ok and theirs is bad?

Because an obsession that is based on hate and fear is a negative thing. Older's obsession is based on helping others and the love she has for her gay child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• What media are you speaking about? Glen Beck? He has an opinion show. Why is it a bad thing to get to know the history of someone that has an integral part in the education of America's young minds? Shouldn't we be aware no matter what their preferences are? Some people find his ideology concerning for the position that he holds. So you don't share that same opinion. They are still entitled to their opinions on the matter, even if they disagree with yours. It's not about him being gay (I don't think for most), it is his radical beliefs and the things that he says or writes that has people concerned.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Having a Gay Rights activist in a influential position is actually quite comforting, and is (IMO) a step in the right direction.

However, not ALL of the "inflammatory statements" are without merit- I have a couple of problems with the man, not because of his sexual preferences or his agenda, but because of the fine line that is being walked in regards to how hard he will be permitted to push his agenda in his newly appointed position. I agree that tolerance MUST be taught, as it is not within human nature to accept anything that we find obscure (and by anything, I mean religion, dietary restrictions, speech, color, style, music preferences, geographical origin, etc. etc. etc.), but that there MUST be a way to keep in check the ability of ONE man to influence without counter sources to moderate the impact.

that stated, I am in no way against, or obsessed with the man.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Quinn, I could quote you thousands of articles smearing this man to shreds, never once looking at the positive side of what he was appointed to do, the Republicans that want him out simply want him out because he is a gay activist and he is going to place that kind of education for our children, since parents aren't doing a very good job it themselves. Opinions are one thing but defamation is another and this is what is going on. There have been a few of those opposers that have come straight out to say that the main reason for opposing is that he is gay, and they don't want that kind of influence on their kids.
    No amount of questionnaires or information will turn anyone gay but it will give them the tools to understand they are not perverts or the abomination the Bible calls them.

Answer by older at 10:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2009