Migraine Sufferers

*note that I am looking from responses from women who suffer migraines, and who have needed prescription meds... NOT women who suffer tension headaches- they have completely different causes.

What do you use to control/treat them?

How were you diagnosed (what root cause was discovered)?

What daily/life routine changes have you made that have helped to prevent them?

What symptoms do you typically suffer beforehand that alert you to the fact that a migraine is immanent?

I have suffered chronic migraines since early childhood, when not much was known about treatment in children (or what caused them), and as an adult I continue to suffer from a debilitating migraine every 4-8 weeks, it does NOT tend to coincide with my cycle, alcohol or nicotine use, or stress (though it CAN contribute)... but have MANY other warning signs, including tremors, loss of appetite, as well as "classic" symptoms.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Health

• I have migraines.

Imitrex is what I use. Fortunately I don't have them as often as I used to. I am down to about 1 every year. Although until May I was having them every month, right before my cycly. Mine were caused from hormones. In May 2009 I was giving hormone pellets (small pellets inserted under the skin in my butt). They have been wonderful. I have not had a migraine since. I had one in August that I thought was turning into a migraine, but I was able to stop it. Come to find out the pellets were wearing off.

My aura - is sounds (TV, fan, anything) will make me nauseous and everything is blurry. As soon as those occur, I know I am in for a long day. I have suffered with them since I was about 10-12 years old.

Anything else I can help you with -let me know. I would love to talk to someone who actually suffers from migraines and not just "bad headaches". Ppl don't realize there is a difference.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OH and I take Excedrin at the first instant that I suspect a migraine. It seems to keep it from getting so bad sometimes.

Well I am off to a birthday party for my dd. Hope to talk to you later.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• hope your dd has a blast!!!

it is SOOOO hard to find women who have experienced a true migraine (that needs intervention from the medical community) and not simply a bad headache (insert cause here).
    i've suffered since i was about 4- i remember not being able to go outside because the light made it hurt so bad i would vomit. and experiencing a "falling" sensation while i was sitting up, which i now know is vertigo.
    i feel one trying to hit me today- so i pushed some aspirin & caffeine (same things found in excedrin) as soon as i started twitching- i get random muscle tremors in my left eye- it is caused by a seizure, one so insignificant that that is how it manifests. nero has yet to figure out if the migraine is causing the seizure or the other way around. and today i am OUT of my Frova (generic for imitrex)... so I may have to just ride it out. beginning to feel nauseous...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You are so lucky to have them only once every 4-8 weeks. Without prevention meds I have them all the time.

I got my first one when I started using computers when I went back to grad school. Screens were worse on your eyes then. I was so sick we thought I had the flu but as I was staying sick for weeks and weeks and loosing more weight the doctor started ruling other things out.

For prevention I take gabapentin, wellbutrin, depakote, and verapamil. If I don't take any one of them for some reason I'll get a migraine and it may take days or weeks to go away. I can't take Imitrex because one of the kinds of migraines I get is basilar artery and if you ever get those kinds of migraines you aren't supposed to use Imitrex. I am so happy I found the right neurologist and the right drugs to keep them away. I get common migraines with and without aura and ocular migraines.

My mother and all 3 of my children get migraines.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I have to be careful about bright light and how much I use my eyes. Other things that can bring them on is working too hard, pizza, riding in a car too long, some smells, irritating sounds, stress. When I feel one coming on I have to stop what I am doing and do relaxation. I don't leave home for more than a few hours.

I had one migraine so bad my kids called 911 and I was so out of it I never remembered the ambulance ride. I spent the night in the ER to rule out stroke.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I have gotten them off and on over the years, but much more often since having children. I'm lucky because mine always start with lights, so I know what's happening. First I see a little burst of light, like I glanced at a very bright light. It doesn't go away though, and expands out into a bright circle burst over about 20 minutes or so before the pain starts. As soon as I see the lights, I take 3 Advil and 2 Formula 303 with a couple of very strong cups of coffee. By the time the pain would have come on full force, that will have started kicking in so the pain isn't nearly as bad. It's more of a dull ache. If I take a couple of Formula 303 every day, I almost never get migraines. The stuff is a miracle pill.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• JulieJacobKyle

• I have been getting migraines since I was eleven; I have not taken a prescrition drug since I was in my early 20s (I am in my late 40s).

Do you keep a food diary? Some common migraine trigger foods are: nitrates (like in cured meats), vinegar, chocolate, cheese, tree nuts, MSG/HFCS. You may want to work with a nutritionist/dietician, or on your own, to structure an elimination diet to try to determine if you have any migraine trigger foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2009