What do you think of the family letters at Christmas?

Before this certain cousin stopped talking to anyone in the family, his wife used to send out a letter in the Christmas cards...it would tell what all they had done in the year- all it was was BRAG BRAG BRAG...it sooooo got on my nerves. I'm still waiting on one to get here from a friend that always does it.

Anyone in your family do this? do you?

makes me think of that Everybody Loves Rayomnd episode when Marie and Debra wrote one together- it was funny!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• never heard of it... it sounds cheesy... I hate people who brag all the time, and to write it down and send it to people? whats that about? sounds lame
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I've never got one...but sometimes when my parents get cards from family they don't talk to much during the year, it's kinda nice for them to hear how the family is. I'm not sure if my parents do it though....but they haven't ever expressed being irritated by it.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I don't know anybody that does it, and I don't do it either. I don't thing it would get on my nerves if I did though. Then again, I enjoy hearing about the awesome stuff that the children of the people I care about, do.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I used to send a family newsletter out at Christmas (either with a homemade card or in lieu of a card).
    It was usually 3 or 4 pages long with a cover page (with a newsletter title, the titles for all the "articles" and corresponding photos), 1 or 2 pages with info about what has been going on in our lives--mostly about the kids, and then a back page that was just pictures from the year. It just go to be too much to keep making them when the kids were little (half the time I didn't get them out until after New Year).
    But I never heard a single complaint. I got tons of compliments on my creativity and lots of questions when I stopped sending them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• a couple of my cousins do that. i never read them, never. lol. if i don't talk to you enough during the year to know of major events then we're obviously not that close which means I DONT CARE.
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I use to send letters with xmas cards. I have all distant family so it was an update on us. How DH was doing, DS, me. What kinda stuff happened this year and what not. Just to let them know how things are with us. Now we are all on facebook so it doesn't really matter lol.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• We had an eventful year (relocated across the country, college grad, hs grad, death of a parent) so we did send out a letter in lieu of cards. It was 2 paragraphs, and as my husband said, "short and to the point."

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My FIL and his GF send out the family newsletter. It updates us on them and FIL's children & their families. We just got ours and I thought it was nice. My family doesn't do that. And it was awesome to see the part about how they had a new grand son and a new daughter to welcome into the family this year.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I just send a personal note but I have a cousin who sends out a brag letter every year and it is so corny I just consider the source.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• my sisters do that. one in the form of sung to a certain Christmas tune and the other in Newspaper form.. They are usually humorous

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2009