Have you ever left your baby in the car alone?

To run in the store. Is that legal? I was in the Whole Foods parking lot and saw a lady go in the store and leave her toddler sleeping in the car. Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I have never done this. My kids are almost 10 and 8 now, and I still don't leave them in the car alone. If I had seen a toddler alone in a car, I would call the police.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• nope, never....but i used to work at a gas station, and would see this happen ALLLLLL the time...it completely pissed me off!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I waited there myself to make sure he was ok. Im not a private investigator here!
    Anonymous

• No. I would never do that. If I go to a place where I cannot bring my children in with me, then I shouldn't be bringing my children with me. I don't care if I'm only running in to pay for Gas, the kids come with me. Too many people are crafty about kidnapping children. Also, something could go wrong like another car 'accidentially' crash into mine while I'm in the store. I don't want my kids to be in there. Plus, it isn't safe to leave children in the car alone in any condition of weather.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Only once at a 7-11. And i waited till there was no one in line and i could still see the car. I locked the doors. It was pouring rain. She is 2. Other than that, i take her in.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• IF YOU GOT EVEN HALF A BRAIN, THAT YOU USE, YOU WOULD NEVER- LEAVE A CHILD IN A CAR- WEATHER-HOT/COLD,EVEN KIDNAPPED.. YOUR REPONSIBLE FOR YOUR KID. AND IF I EVER SEE A CHILD ALONE IN A CAR- SPEED DIAL THE COPS, WAIT TILL EITHER YOU,COPS SOCIAL SERVIVE,GETS THERE, YOUR ARRESTED, KIDS REMOVED. COMMON SENSE(SOMETHING NOT LEARN BY A BOOK) USE YOUR HEAD. AND THIS GOES FOR AN ANIMAL TOO. I WOULD MAKE DAMN SURE/YOUR DAY IS ONE YOU NEVER FORGET...(AND FOREVERMOM);;;IT TAKES 2 SECONDS TO BREAK A LOCK, DRIVE OFF WITH YOUR KID IN THE CAR, TOSSED OUT THE WINDOW, AND GOOD -BY.. LIKE THAT STORY? NEVER-LEAVE YOUR KID IN A CAR-LOCK OR OTHERWISE, THERE ARE MORE OUT THERE WITH SPEED DIAL TO COPS
    Anonymous

• I'm not 100% on the laws, but I think here here is a 10 minutes leway so if you "just run in for a minute" you might not get punished. But it's a stupid idea because it only take a second for someone to steal your car and then your baby is gone too! I've forgotten about my DD just long enough to get to the front of the car then realize I'm missing something. but I've never gone into a store and left her! And definately NOT intentionally.
    Anonymous

• NO! I would be SO afraid of my baby being kidnapped. The closest I have ever come is running to look at things at a yard sale, but the car was no more than 20 ft from me and in plain sight of me and everyone else.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I have left my kids in the car when the car is within my direct line of view (ie. I'm running across the street in pouring rain to pick up one child from school and the car is parked at the curb ten feet away from me.) I wouldn't go into a store though.
    Anonymous

• If I am going in to pay for just gas, I will lock the car turn on the alarm and watch out the window the whole time. My kids are preschool age.
    Anonymous