How much more should I charge his mom?

I babysit a boy whose mom works 3rd shift. He comes to my house from 6pm to 7:30am 3 days a week and 10:30pm to 7:30am 2 days a week. I charge his mom $100 per week. I also give him his pill in the morning with breakfast for his ADHD. Its snowing cats and dogs outside today. His mom called me this morning and said that she wont be able to come for him until the snow clears. She only packed his morning pill. He's running around and is getting increasingly hyper. The snow isn't supposed to clear until Monday. I tried to call her cell phone and I think she turned it off. On top of that he eats a lot. 3 bowls of cereal this morning and juice and I just made him a snack and he wants more. I don't want to tell her a rediculous ammount but I also feel like when the weather calls for this much snow a mom should be prepared to do whats neccessary to do what needs to be done regarding her child. Atleast pack extra meds, what would u do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• So what about the cereal, it's cheap! You are getting a $100 a week and he just sleeps at your house. You should have a kinder heart.

If you knew there was going to be more snow, you should not have let her leave him unless she left extra meds. This is just as much your responsibility as hers.

If you don't know how to care for a child with ADHD, go to google and find some websites and quickly read. Taking care of a child with ADHD can be difficult but you are the care provider and it's your job. If she can't get there that is part of the responsibility that goes along with taking her $100 a week.

I would only charge $20. If she was stuck at work and was making a lot of money overtime because of the storm then I would charge much more depending on her job.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You're helping out where she would have nowhere else to take him.Theres no overnight daycare! I'd let her slide on this one.Just tell her to pack an emergency bag to keep at your house in case this(knock on wood) ever happens again.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• She was at work last night and no she's not stuck. She went home and told me that she'd call me when she wakes up. Then she turned her phone off. An yes cereal is cheap, I also give him dinner on the nights he gets here at 6, juice and desert. Then I get up with him and dress him and give him either cereal or toast in the morning and more juice. His mother isnt stuck anywhere an she told me on the phone that she'd probabably just go back and forth to work and just come to my house when the snow clears
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• BTW... She's a nurse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well, since she's at home enjoying the peace and quiet while you care for her son, I would probably drive him home and knock on the door really loud until she answers it and give her her kid back.
    Anonymous

• So she isn't stuck at work making bunches of money like nurses can if they are forced to stay at the hospital. If she is an RN she could make $75 an hour or more if she was being force to work overtime. My son is an RN.

If she can't get to you and you can get to her I would take him home if I didn't want to take care of him.

You should have asked her on the phone how much extra she planned to pay you since she couldn't get to your house because of the snow.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would probably let it go this time, asking for maybe $10 or $20, no more. However, I would then have a serious conversation about expectations for next time. It's unacceptable to just not pick up your kid from child care. In a true emergency, things might be different. She should always pack extra medicine (what if she's in a car accident). In this case, it snowed, like the weather report said, and now she's stuck. The issue might be unclear expectations. You do have a rather sweet deal here, so I'd be hesitant to mess it up!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would think the amount you charge should depend on how much longer he's with you. Is he going to be with you all day and then all night again? I'd charge her maybe an extra $20-$25 if he's going to be there the rest of the day. I would then ask her to start packing him extra clothes and extra medication in case this ever happens again. People who take regular medication should always have extra on hand in case something happens and they can't be home for their next dose. It's kind of silly to only ever pack him one pill. Then I'd lay down the law regarding you not being able to reach her and tell her that is not allowed to happen again. That is completely unacceptable. If you are babysitting someone's child you should always be able to reach one of the parents.

I personally wouldn't worry about the food. It's only one day.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 1:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I am not a sitter.. I don't how much merit what i have to say will hold.

I would be angry though. I can understand frustration. She should pack extra medication at all times. I would if I had a child with a medication requirement. that seems like common sense. Indeed google how to deal with adhd children. night and day care is just that. in regaurds of a meal. my sitter layed that out for me in the beginning. if a child is there for a meal I have a charge for a meal. its included with his stay. if the child is there for a day figure out an hourly charge... Use that when considering cost. letting charge slide may be to slack. I wouldn't, it could create unclear expectation... Indeed sit the woman and clear up any misunderstanding as there appears to be some..
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2009