HELP NOT DRYING UP

I am stopped breastfeeding and I am not drying up. It has been 2 weeks and I still haven't dried up. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmm. i are you still totally full, leaking, etc? mine took a little while longer than i thought to completely dry up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Put a cabbage leaf in your bra over your nipples.... it helps to dry them out... I dont know how, but my grandmother told me this and it worked for me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Are you engorged or just still noticing milk if you squeez your nipple? Because I stopped BF 5 months ago and I still have some milk....only if I squeeze I'll notice a drop or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I was told to use cabbage leaves but that was before I read a few hundred things on cabbage leaves actually permanently reducing your milk production....all I did was wear a cotton bar and a sports bra constantly and took a sudafed (allergy medicine) accordingly to the box and it dried right up. (cabbage leaves STUNK anyhow!)
    Anonymous

• As a breastfeeding advocate I would say your body is telling you to breastfeed your baby. If you wait until your baby is older and wean gradually you won't have that problem.

Remember, it's not nice to use the term breastfeeding nazi!
    Anonymous

• It takes more than 2 weeks.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Yes I am still full and leaking. I didn't want to stop breastfeeding my baby but he was have so much trouble. He was always spitting up and very fussy, no matter what i was eating. There were so many things I couldn't eat because if I did he was up all night crying. He was only sleeping 2-3 hours at night and very little in the day. Now he is sleeping 6-7 hours and he is much happier. It makes me feel horrible that i have stopped breastfeeding but I didn't know what else to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• regardless of WHY you stopped, you did, and if you feel that it was right for you- i can not say i agree- but it was your decision.

just so you know, not all women stop lactating. i NEVER have. my oldest is almost 9, and have been lactating since her birth... i have a 2 1/2 year old that had to be weaned around his 1st year (which STILL breaks my heart- it was the wrong decision), and i am still producing- can manually express a couple of oz... so, do not expect that you will just dry up. if you're still in the first few weeks, you'll likely continue to produce for a while.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Babies are never better off on formula. It's just not possible.

He is sleeping a lot because formula is hard to digest. It's not a good thing, it's a bad sign. Sleeping isn't happier.

It is very rare for a woman to HAVE to eliminate foods from her diet. If that sensitive of a baby went on formula there would be big problems and the baby would end up on special predigested formula that costs $30-$40 a day. You don't just go from a sensitive baby on the perfect food to a baby that can do fine on regular formula.

Babies are supposed to eat frequently. Human milk digests quickly. Statistically breastfed babies IQs are about 10 points higher because brain growth is the big developmental task in the first year. You don't want a baby laying around sleeping trying to digest (stupid) cow's milk formula.

If you don't want to wean, put your baby back to your breast and relactate. www.kellymom.com is a good website.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Why don't you pump and donate the milk to a child in need? There are so many children that truly need that golden juice to live. Personally I would put baby back to the breast knowing that I am doing best by my child by giving him or her the very best. As a PP said formula is NEVER the answer especially to a child with certain intolerance. Formula only exasperates the problem and baby doesn't get any good stuff to counteract all the negative side effects. I would seriously rethink stopping breastfeeding. Doesn't baby deserves the best?

Anonymous