how old ?

at what age did you stop assisting your child with taking a bath or shower?
what age did they start taking a shower not a bath ?

meNmine

Asked by meNmine at 11:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I believe it depends on every family. My step-son is 7 1/2 now and we are teaching him to take showers now. But when he is at his mothers (where he is most of the time) she still gives him baths and bathes him. We do NOT agree with this. I have two little girls and another baby on the way. So we are starting to teach all of our older children how to take care of themselves, b/c it will be VERY hectic once little one gets here....much less when I start getting HUGE...my girls are 4 and 6. I personally think that by the time they are 3, they can start doing basic washing skills. IE: washing their own body, and putting shampoo in their hair. They will miss spots, but you supervise to make sure they get everything. It really does work.
    luckmomto2

Answer by luckmomto2 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i still have babies but in my opinion I would say it varies. depending on the parenting skills the child will go from there. I would assume around four would be best for them to really have it down! My son is 2 and loves to wash his own butt lol, but misses spots every now and then so I have to help. Washing their hair could be a problem till four as well.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• my 3 year old does it herself but i supervise. my seven year old could take a shower herspelf by 4.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My DS is 4, i still bath him. I may start letting him use the scrubby himself soon. I dont think he's tall enough for the shower yet.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I let my daughter wash herself by the time she was 2. I wash her hair still though and she'll be 3 in Jan.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with luckmom... I just had another baby 7 weeks ago. For the past year, my then 2 year old -now 3 year old son, has only taken showeres. He prefers to actually! He can wash his hair and body, while I was able to stay standing to help him.

Just try it out, keeping in mind that sometimes new things are scary, but get them used to the idea over a week and they'll be hooked. Pretty soon they'll be telling you to go away, mom!
    Stephie_momof_2

Answer by Stephie_momof_2 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009