Bradley Method?

My goal is to have a natural birth. A few friends of mine who have done natural births are recomending the Bradley method over lamze for breathing techniques. Any advice? I am looking to start taking classes A.S.A.P.

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 11:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i took a class that taught both of those and one more. take a class that teaches it all and decide for yourself.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Lamaze isn't centered on breathing like it was 30 years ago. It's not your mom's Lamaze. It is more focused on understanding the childbirth process. Bradley focuses on unmedicated birth but is expensive and has a lot of sessions. I agree that if you can find it an ecclectic class that teaches Lamaze, Bradley, Dick-Read, and maybe some of the newer philosophies that may be the way to go. Birthing From Within looks like it would be good but I haven't been to their classes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I took Bradley classes with my first. I really enjoyed them, although I don't know how much they really helped. They taught what sort of came naturally. I didn't have trouble controlling the pain during my labor, but I didn't follow the method to a T, either.
    Anonymous

• I took Bradley with my first~ I especially think it's helpful to the hospital birther (which I was not). But worth it!
    I also think that anything you can do to become educated on the process of childbirth and how to tune-in while laboring, coping naturally, and being supported is helpful (whether Bradley or not).

Do you have a birth partner?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i'd suggest reading a bradley book and check out the lamaze website. but those aren't the only 2 options. i had a natural birth without using any "method". you can also read books like "ina may's guide" and hypnobabies. =)
    Anonymous

• I too had a natural unmedicated hospital midwife attended birth twice and used no method per se. I read up on Bradley and Lamaze and my fave book Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin (I read a few other natural birth books too). I did what felt right to me at the time and listened to my body. With my first that was being in the shower the whole time until I felt I needed to push. With my second I had back labor due to her being sunny side up and I wanted to be on all fours while laboring and delivering and finally squatted to get her out. For me the biggest thing is tuning into your body so things like meditation etc help a lot.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009