Hown much should she be eating?? HELP!!!!!!

Just wondering about how much my daughter should be eating and how often?? She will be a month old on the 24th. I know that all babies vary, but I cannot remember about how much she should be taking at this point. I pump, then bottle feed. I was nursing but she had to go to hospital for jaundice and they had me pump and store, and had her taking only formula while she was there. They pushed it on her constantly, but now she has not increased her intake hardly at all since then.

ANY THOUGHTS????

THANKS A BUNCH

kiddosX8

Asked by kiddosX8 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is a month old and she drinks 4 sometimes 5 ounces a meal. She eats every 2.5 to three hours.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• wow...my daughter takes 2 maybe....MAYBE three ounces every 2-3 hours. I really think that when she was in the hospital for her jaundice they screwed up her feeding. She had been doing fine, slowly increasing. They MADE her drink 2 oz of formula every 2 hours, and now since then, that is all she pretty much does. That was when she was 4-6 days old. She is going for her 4 week check up next week so maybe they will have some answers too. I guess it just seems like she should be eating a little more by now. She is my first girl, I have 7 boys and they all ate like piggies:)

Thanks:)
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website and has feeding charts.

Human milk feeding, pumping and feeding by bottle, sucks. It takes so much dedication to pump so many times a day and it is so easy to breastfeed. It may only take a short time to get your baby back to breastfeeding. A La Leache League Leader or lactation consultant can help you.

Shame on the hospital. There is no reason to give a baby formula for jaundice. I think moms should start filing lawsuits over this. It's something you should consider.

Here is the link for calculating how much milk your baby should need:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

You sould expect your baby to gain at least 4 ounces a week.

Mothering Magazine has good breastfeeding discussion boards www.mothering.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Babies don't really increase the amount of human milk they take... it's different than with formula. They will increase for a short period of time (growth spurt) and then slow back down. On average, they take 25oz over 24hours... so 2oz every 2 hours is perfect.

That said, pumping is really hard work... have you tried to get her back to the breast? I would work on that and then you don't have to worry about how much she's eating! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009