Rosary gift

My daughter received a rosary for Christmas.

I have no idea if it is blessed or not. When giving a gift like a rosary, especially to a Catholic, should the person get it blessed before giving? If you do not know if it is blessed would it be appropriate to have it blessed again?

Personally, most my rosaries are not blessed except for the gifts or the ones I hold a significant emotional attachment to for one reason or another.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 12:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe they HAVE to be blessed. Having them blessed is, as far as I know, up to any individual person. You might be able to find an answer on the Catholic Answers site: www.catholic.com
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• They don't have to be blessed. If you're unsure of whether or not it's blessed, it's fine to take ti to be blessed.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• They don't need to be blessed and I would just assume it wasn't unless the person giving the gift said otherwise.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• if they need to be blessed wasn't a big concern of mine. My favorite praying rosary is not blessed. The ones I get blessed are gifts because I want to keep them more as a sacramental and not a prayer tool. This is my daughter's first rosary as a gift. She hasn't even made her first communion. I will ask father to bless it tomorrow. Thanks for the opinions
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2009