Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boss is getting out of control. What would you do?

My DH works as a welder and the boss is really greedy. They already have to buy their own tips for their welders, sleeves, safety glasses, helmets, lenses and EVERYTHING. He supplies NOTHING even though they are working for HIM, but now he has decided not to by toilet paper, and they have to bring their own. One guy threatened to call authorities and the boss held a meeting and told them to quit acting like kids and said "You think they're going to do anything about toilet paper?" Basically provoked them and belittled them so they'd feel stupid for saying anything about it. What would you do? and do you think this is right?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • Omg there has to be some agency (here it would be the Ministry of Labour) that they can report his jackass to. Maybe look online to see who it would be, then have all the guys that work there that are willing call and complain.

    I'm wishing a scorching case of hemmoroids on your DH's boss....just FYI

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I would call the dept of labor and have him start looking for a new job! At my old job they only had a unisex bathroom. One of the reasons I quit!

    Answer by MLM0503 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • Report them to OSHA.  There are specific laws regarding access to restrooms and to hygiene.


    Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • agree call both osha and dept of labor and also keep all receipts for the things you have had to buy and claim it on your taxes as job expenses, it will also provide back up proof that the boss is not paying for supplies for his company. unless your DH is an independent contractor it is up to the boss to supply needed materials.

    I wonder if the boss is clamin he has purchased these items? I would love to see his accounting books, i bet there are some great things in there the IRS would love to catch.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • Agree with the department of labor in your state.
    Now, there are a few questions first...
    1. Is your husband a w-9 employee or a 1099 independent contractor?
    If he is a contractor, there is nothing he can do, the employer is not obligated by law to provide anything. If he is an employee, they are required to provide basic safety equipment.
    2. Is he in a union?
    If so, call the union steward.

    My husband is a profession where they have to have most of their own tools. He is a Utility Lineman, has to have his own climbing gear, boots specific for climbing, hand tools, etc... The company provides the trucks and everything to do with the trucks, the hardware needed for the job and a very select few job specific tools. He is a w-9 employee.
    When he worked after Hurricane Ike in Houston last year he was a 1099 independent contractor. He had to have his own EVERYTHING except the trucks.

    Answer by RutterMama at 3:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • Contact your state department of labor.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • He's just a regular employee and not in the Union.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I say.....STOP looking for JOBs (Just Over Broke) even if it pays take away from other areas such as Happiness, Family, Time, and etc.....A lot of people tell you to start a home business(which I recommend too) but I also recommend you find something you enjoy, like, love, and don't mind sharing with others.... With this economy nowadays, you can't afford NOT to have a home business, becuase of the tax deductions, Expenses cut backs, and much more.... So how about you both start looking into things where you don't have to worry about a boss and you be the boss....2 years ago, my boss started making me mad everyday...I use to think it was on purpose...but guess what I did, "I FIRED MY BOSS!!!" I was working from home PT for 3 years and got myself to a position where i could walk out of my job and be stress free...would you like to help your husband get away from such hard 888-475-6032 and I will help u

    Answer by incomeathomemom at 11:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.